Be on the lookout for an escaped leprechaun!
(And some very enthusiastic writers!)
A true 2-in-1 descriptive writing activity and St. Patrick's Day craft. Everything you need is included!
While it may be easy to find holiday crafts, most of us have minimum time and maximum pressure to meet standards and help our students master important skills.
"Have You Seen My Leprechaun?" is a kid-thrilling activity that's as much thorough writing lesson as it is easy-to-teach, beautiful craft project.
Here's How It Works:
1. Students choose from many accessories on printable templates to make unique leprechauns. (Yes, your leprechaun can have high-top sneakers!)
2. You use clear and complete lesson plans to teach children to describe their leprechaun in writing.
3. The activities conclude with a game in which students match written descriptions to one another's leprechauns.
This Activity Pack Makes Your Job Easy (And Their Job Fun!) By Including:
1. Three printable templates for creating male or female leprechauns with fun accessories.
2. Clear lesson plans for the writing activity, including discussion prompts.
3. Printable fill-in-the-blank prompts for early writers.
4. Writer's guide with tips for intermediate and advanced writers.
5. "Green Thesaurus" with color swatches and 15 ways to describe shades of green.
6. Labeled guide to clothing and accessories to help students with spelling (so you can focus on guiding content).
7. Complete writing samples for beginner, intermediate, and advanced writers (approximately 1st, 3rd, and 5th-grade levels) to use for modeling. (Be sure to download the preview to check out the intermediate sample.)
8. Fully-illustrated instructions for creating the leprechauns (post it on a tv or SmartBoard and avoid having to repeat yourself!).
9. Multi-use lined sheets (thin and very wide rule) for final drafts.
10. Large-scale sample of finished product.
11. Meets Common Core Writing standards related to writing explanatory texts, conveying ideas clearly, and using illustrations to aid in comprehension.
"Have You Seen My Leprechaun?" is a true 2-in-1 activity. The detailed lesson plans help you teach a meaningful lesson in descriptive writing, while the craft is an activity all kids love. The finished leprechaun and writing are pieces that parents love to keep.
Students will love reading their descriptions while their classmates try to match them to the correct leprechaun! These are excellent pieces to show off on hallway bulletin boards, too!
Together, all activities yield a minimum of three hours instruction time, and I'm confident you'll want to use it year after year.
Thanks and happy teaching!