Be on the lookout for escaped turkeys in disguise!
Turkeys are sneaking away from farms all over the country and hiding among us. They may be disguising themselves as cowboys, dapper gentlemen, basketball players, grannies, and even beauty pageant winners!
Everything you need is included in this 2-in-1 descriptive writing activity and craft.
"Have You Seen My Turkey?" is a kid-thrilling activity that's as much thorough writing lesson as it is easy-to-teach, clever craft project.
Here's How It Works:
1. Students choose from accessories on printable templates to make uniquely disguised turkeys. (Students choose from complete costumes as cowboys, well-dressed gentlemen, basketball players, little old ladies, beauty queens, or mix and match accessories to make their own disguise.)
2. You use clear and complete lesson plans to teach children to describe their creature in writing.
3. The lessons conclude with an activity in which students match written descriptions to one another's creatures.
This Activity Pack Makes Your Job Easy (And Their Job Fun!) By Including:
1. Printable templates for creating turkeys in disguise.
2. Clear lesson plans for the writing activity, including discussion prompts.
3. Printable fill-in-the-blank prompts for very early writers.
4. Thesaurus sheet to help writers use a variety of words.
5. Complete writing samples for beginner, intermediate, and advanced writers (approximately 1st, 3rd, and 5th-grade levels) to use for modeling. (Be sure to download the preview to check out an excerpt of all three writing samples.)
6. Fully-illustrated instructions for creating the turkeys (spend your time guiding students, not repeating yourself!)
7. Multi-use lined sheets (thin and very wide rule) for final drafts.
8. Sample of a finished turkey for modeling.
9. Meets Common Core Writing standards related to writing explanatory texts, conveying ideas clearly, and using illustrations to aid in comprehension.
"Have You Seen My Turkey?" is a true 2-in-1 activity, perfect for writers of all ages and abilities. Samples, modifications, and writer's guides make your job so simple--print, copy, and teach! The detailed lesson plans help you teach a meaningful lesson in descriptive writing, while the craft is an activity all kids love. The finished turkeys make fun decorations and keepsakes!
Students will love reading their descriptions while their classmates try to match them to the correct turkey! These are excellent pieces to show off on hallway bulletin boards, too!
Together, all activities yield a minimum of three hours instruction time, and I'm confident you'll want to use it year after year.