Hawaii is one of my favorite units to teach! So much interesting history, espcially their mythology. With the movie Moana being so popular, kids love learning about one of their favorite characters and the meaning behind his fish hook and his fire story!
Included in this download:
- A reading passage called "Who was Maui?" that serves as an introduction to the lessons.
- Reading comprehension worksheet over "Who was Maui?" that asks students to cite evidence and make inferences.
- Summaries of 4 different Maui Myths along with activity ideas to use them with. I also included blank copies of the Maui Myth paper in case you'd like students to research and summarize additional Maui Myths.
- A venn diagram that can be completed independently, in pairs, or printed out as a poster to use as an anchor chart. This diagram has students compare and contrast two Maui Myths in order to come up with some common story elements that are unique to Myths.
- A graphic organizer web where students are given some of the main story elements for myths and they have to identify where those elements are seen in some of Maui's stories.
- A fun and challenging activity where students use dice to create a prompt for them to use to write a new Maui Myth. Plus, stationary for them to write these myths on.