Your students will love this standard-based project! This project links the Health Education units of Nutrition, Sex Education, Alcohol, Tobacco, and Illegal Drugs, and Mental and Emotional Health by allowing students to follow the lives of 6 people to determine their fate. Two individuals will live long healthy lives. Three will die and one will be diagnosed with a life threatening disease. In addition, they will follow the life of Julie Newman to determine her medical diagnosis as a bonus case.
There are two ways to give this assignment:
1. Embed the clues into your powerpoints (or lessons) so that students will receive clues related to the topic that they are studying for the day. Some clues will require that students do additional research.
2. Give them all the clues at once near the end of health and allow them to figure it out. Collaborate with classmates or work on it individually.
Once all clues are gathered for all individuals, students will decide which two live, which three die and their cause of death, and which is diagnosed with a life-threatening condition and the name of the condition. Students will justify the individual’s fate by explaining how the risk factors and protective factors helped to determine the fate. Answers may vary yet still be correct if a student can justify it in their written response. This assignment will be challenging for students and require them to research additional health and medical information at home. Students should be making predictions and working on it throughout the entire 9 weeks of Health.
This product includes the following:
1. 9 slide PowerPoint to introduce the individuals
Note: I strongly encourage teachers to choose their own pictures to create a "real person" for the students
2. Teacher directions, clues, and answer key
3. Teacher directions and clues
4. 7 pages for students to record the clues on each individual
5. Case Study Rubric with student and teacher assessment
I guarantee that your students will love this project! Once they have completed the project, allow students to create new case studies. They should include a name, picture, short bio, at least 8 clues from different units, and their "fate." Use their case studies for future classes.
Coming soon to my TPT store... Health Education lessons and units on Nutrition, Sex Education, Alcohol, Tobacco, and Illegal Drugs, and Mental and Emotional Health
Visit my store: Health Education and Sports Medicine Resources