This is an awesome assignment, which can be used in multiple subject areas (health, physical education, biology, anatomy, health science & wellness). I have used this activity with my grade 8/9 health class, as well as my grade 11/12 health science class and both groups of students love this project!
This assignment is easy for students to follow, because the project criteria is clear and concise. For example:
Requirement for Written Submission of Fitness Routine/Workout:
• State the specific goal that you wish to achieve by completing the routine (e.g. The goal of this muscular endurance routine is to develop core strength and stability through a series of stability-ball exercises that target the abdominals, obliques and core musculature.)
• Must have at least a 5-10-minute warm up activity and a class stretch (Pictures, caption & descriptions of movements and stretches included).
• Must have at least 30-minutes of fitness movements that will get the participants to achieve the main goal of the routine (Pictures, caption & descriptions of each movement/activity included).
• Each stretch, exercise or movement should include a picture, be numbered and have a caption (e.g. roundhouse kick, abdominal crunch, bench press, etc.)
• Each stretch, exercise or movement should be accompanied by a BRIEF written description outlining the key aspects of the movement (i.e. pictures are great but most moves are complex and require some extra key points that you need to be aware of when you will be presenting to the class).
I also provided a rubric to help teachers assess the final product. I uploaded this project as a word document, so you can edit it to best fit your classroom needs. Enjoy!