Hearing and the Human Ear - 1-2 day lesson package. This lesson package has both physics as well as biology elements. The main focus of the lesson is to provide information about hearing to students in regards to what kinds of sounds are heard, the possibility of hearing loss caused by everyday activities and the anatomical features of the ear which allow us to perceive sound. There are 10 videos embedded right into the lesson as well as one website which links to an online hearing test. Simply view the lesson in slideshow mode and click the video/activity image. The video will automatically open in your browser. The videos are embedded on my site so that I can keep them updated and replace them if needed.
***********This activity can also be found bundled at a significant discount in my Sound and Sound Energy - Complete 5E Lesson Bundle. If you'd like to take a look, please CLICK HERE.
"A fantastic resource! Well organized and the videos are so easy! Thank you!"
**Please note I have two other versions of this lesson that may be more suitable for your grade/subject.
1) This version excludes the causes of hearing loss and focusses more strongly on the anatomy of the ear and how it allows us to hear. This lesson can be found BY CLICKING HERE.**
2) This version is less advanced and is more suitable for K-8 classes as it contains less detail and more basic terms. This lesson can be found BY CLICKING HERE.**
The PowerPoint contains diagrams, examples and explanations. It includes the lesson (student and teacher versions of the PowerPoint), a student worksheet with answers and a student lesson handout as a word document which follows the PowerPoint. The lesson also contains 10 videos embedded into the slides. I have used this lesson in my own classroom with great success.
Included in the lesson package is:
- The teacher version of the PowerPoint
- The student version of the PowerPoint
- 10 embedded videos
- 1 online hearing activity
- Student lesson handout
In order, the lesson covers:
- Hearing Tests
- Hearing Frequencies
- Hearing Loss and Earbuds
- Teen Hearing Stats
- Hearing Loss Prevention
- Sound Intensity
- The Human Ear
- Outer, Middle and Inner Ear
- Semicircular Canals and Balance
- Hearing Aids
If you are interested in a really engaging and simply to use lab station activity to go along with your lesson, please CLICK HERE to learn more
The student version of the PowerPoint contains multiple blanks that need to be filled in throughout the lesson. These blanks are conveniently underlined and bolded on the teacher copy. I have found this to be the most effective means of keeping my students engaged and active without having them write everything out. This also leaves more time for discussion and activities.
Within my complete Waves and Sound Unit you can find the following lesson packages:
- Lesson 1 - Waves - An Introduction
- Lesson 2 - Waves - Transmission, Reflection and Interference
- Lesson 3 - Standing Waves
- Lesson 4 - Sound, Sound Energy and Speed
- Lesson 5 - Hearing and the Human Ear
- Lesson 6 - The Doppler Effect and Supersonic Travel
The entire Waves and Sound Unit can be purchased at a 32% discount BY CLICKING HERE
Please view the Preview File to obtain a sense of my style, see how my power point lesson is structured and evaluate my work.
I also have a range assignments and lessons/units from other grade levels at my store. Please CLICK HERE to have a look around and don’t forget to follow if you like what you see.
Also, please visit my blog Teach With Fergy
for my thoughts on teaching, learning and everything in between.