Compressed Zip File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing. How to unzip files.
16.28 MB | 40 pages
Students really like this unit! I teach this in February to be thematic and to correlate with healthy heart awareness month. It is a great way to practice reading nonfiction/informational text!!
This unit does NOT include photographs of the real heart. I thought since it is for elementary it might scare them a bit so I focus more on the nonfiction text feature of drawings rather than photographs for this.
Included in this unit:
1. Nonfiction booklet on the heart
2. Worksheet to correlate with a very kid friendly online website about the heart
3. Label the heart worksheet
4. Healthy Heart/Exercise experiment with recording and analyzing data sheet
5. Journey of a blood drop through the circulatory system powerpoint (VERY KID FRIENDLY)!!! Also includes an assessment with multiple choice
6. Heart Healthy Menu Project with letter to parents explaining what to send in to school in advance. Menu paper template included. I give the students 3 sheets of the menu paper: breakfast, lunch, and dinner and have them write down healthy foods/meals for each. I then give them large construction paper and have them fold it in half like a book. They decorate the cover to look like a menu and write the name of their heart healthy restaurant on the top. Examples include: Heart Healthy Café, My Beating Heart Diner, etc. Sometimes I have students glue a picture of themselves eating heart healthy foods on the cover as well. It makes for a cute effect but it’s up to you. I then staple the menu pages inside the cover to then look like a menu.
7. Listen to your heart activity. Students act as if their heart could talk. What would it say to them? What advice would it give? Students apply what they have learned by writing a few sentences in a speech bubble and attaching it to the heart template to look like their heart is talking.
8. Heart study guide
9. Heart test with multiple choice and open answer.