Welcome to Camp Calor (that's Spanish for heat!).This heat packet is a great resource tool that will help your students answer the following essential questions:
1. How do you use heat? Students will write about ways they use heat.
2. How is heat produced? Students will learn 3 ways heat is produced. Students will color pictures that represent the 3 ways.
3. What are thermal conductors, and why are thermal conductors important? This section begins with a paragraph about cooking spaghetti to introduce conductors. Next, the students are asked to look at pictures and circle all the examples of conductors. Last, the students are asked to draw two more examples of conductors and explain why they are good conductors of heat.
4. What are thermal insulators, and why are thermal insulators important? First, the paragraph about cooking spaghetti from conductors is continued to introduce insulators. Next, the students are asked to look at pictures and circle all the examples of insulators. Last, the students are asked to draw two more examples of insulators and explain why they are good insulators of heat.
5. Students will take the knowledge they gained from this packet and use it to solve a problem on heat. The students are stranded in a snowy forest, and they must figure out how they are going to stay warm. They are given a list of items that they are carrying with them. Their goal is to create 2 solutions using the items they have to stay warm.
If you use interactive notebooks, you can shrink these pages by printing two to a page.
At the end of the packet, I have included lesson plans to assist you in using the packet!
Much of this packet is in black and white. This is to save your printer from using a lot of color, and it lets the students add their own style by coloring it themselves.
The Handout Factory