Heat Transfer STEM Insulation Challenge
What educators are saying
Also included in
- Try these engaging and fun resources included in my Heat Transfer Bundle. A variety of interactive resources to help with student comprehension about heat and how heat is transferred between objects. This bundle covers topics on: What is heat?How heat is transferred by radiation, conduction, and cPrice $23.20Original Price $29.00Save $5.80
This Heat Transfer STEM activity challenges the students apply their knowledge of heat transfer and thermal insulators to design, build, and advertise an insulating sleeve that keeps their drink hot.
In the first part of the project, the students test 4 different materials (paper, foil, cardboard, and fabric) to see how well they insulate a cup and keep hot water hot. Then, using this data, they design their drink Snuggie. In addition to keeping their drinks as warm as possible, their Snuggie needs to be unique and stand out from the rest. Is it functional, fashionable, multipurpose, environmentally friendly, etc?
After building their snuggie, the students will test them to see how they work by placing hot water in them and measuring the temperature every 5 minutes for 30 minutes. Finally, students will learn about some commonly used advertising techniques and will create a print or video advertisement for their product.
- Keep It Hot Project Overview + Score Sheet
- Keep it Hot Experiment - Testing Different Insulators
- Drink Snuggie Planning page
- Drink Snuggie Testing and Conclusion Page
- Advertising Techniques Presentation
- Advertising Planning Page
- Sample Advertisement and Drink Snuggie examples
Apply scientific principles to design, construct, and test a device that either minimizes or maximizes thermal energy transfer.
Looking for More Heat Transfer Ideas? Check these out
More STEM Challenges? Check these Out