Climate Change and Vulnerable Populations
1) Assess the environmental and economic impacts of using conventional (e.g., fossil fuel, nuclear) and alternative forms of energy (e.g., geothermal, solar, wind, wave, biofuel) (Grade 7 Science)
2)Explain how patterns of physical geography affect human activity around the world (Grade 7 Geography)
3) Describe ways human activity can affect sustainability/health of the environment (Grade 7 Geography)
Learning Goal: We are learning how climate change affects vulnerable populations like children, and how to present themes of climate change through art.
Minds On: Students brainstorm everything they know about climate change on their handout (set 3 min time limit). Students choose 1 idea to put on a post-it, add to class brainstorm.
- Students watch Charlotte’s video and/or use Paint for the Planet pictures. Students answer the question: “What themes of climate change do you see?” on their handout.
- Students watch the video on Climate Change and Children and/or use the attached flowchart. Students answer the question, “What was one thing that you hadn’t thought related to climate change?” (example answer: “I didn’t realize that children were more vulnerable to natural disaster, but now I realize that...”)
- Students create their own design that shows three effects of climate change
Multimedia links: http://mskuksclass.weebly.com/lesson-1-climate-change-and-vulnerable-populations.html