In response to the success of SpaceX's Falcon Heavy launch on February 6, 2018, this project was created to engage and inspire students with STEM that is literally out of this world! This STEM challenge pack includes the option of conducting a straw rocket engineering design challenge or stomp rocket engineering design challenge. Both options include handouts on Newton's Laws and forces, as well as student worksheets for every step in the design process. Connect with current events with this engaging hands-on challenge!
Topics covered in rocketry STEM challenge:
* Forces & motion
* Newton's Third Law
* Engineering Design Process
* Variables & testing
(1) Heavy Lift Straw Rocket Challenge:
Students design and build a straw rocket that mimics the Falcon Heavy rocket. It must hit a target and release a "space car" after launch. Variable Testing:
Students select a variable to test in order to optimize for longest distance.
(2) Heavy Lift Stomp Rocket Challenge:
Students design and build a stomp rocket to be launched with a stomp rocket launcher. You must either purchase a rocket launcher (we used this one: http://amzn.to/2BN8yFN (*Amazon Affiliate Link*)) or build one. Students attempt to achieve the greatest flight time and launch a "space car".
This packet includes:
- Detailed educator guide with links to resources
- Student handouts including Forces on a Rocket & Intro to Rocket Science
- Student recording packet for each step of the engineering design process
About STEM Challenges:
STEM challenges are an engaging way to incorporate the engineering design process into your classroom or afterschool program! These hands-on activities allow students to work in teams, apply the engineering design process, and connect science topics to real-world applications. The teacher will provide the structure to the project, but students will take an active role in designing and building their own rockets.
• Click the Green ★ to follow our store and get notifications of new products and freebies
• Leave feedback to receive TpT credit for use on future purchases
• Questions? Contact us in the Product Q&A section
♥ Connect With Us ♥