Helen Keller Courage in the Dark by Johanna Hurwitz - Guided Reading Level N/O
A great book for teaching biography genre, theme of courage and perseverance
The book is divided into 4 lessons.
Can be used for guided reading lessons, small group, tutoring, or as a whole group.
Each lesson break down includes:
• A summary of the chapters/section, perfect for book introductions - especially if you're teaching this at a child's instructional level.
• Vocabulary to preteach
• A blank space for you to write in your specific target goal, strategy/teaching point for your group
• Most lessons include an area in the reading for students to revisit after they've read the section (great for close reading)
• Some lessons also include possible reading responses for students to show comprehension through writing
• Two constructed-response questions - one after chapter 4, another after completing the book - can be used to model RAPP (Restate, Answer, Proof from text, Proofread)
These are not scripted lessons, but enough information for you to easily craft individualized lessons for your own students.
This can be used as a working document to keep track of what has been taught to which students/groups.