Hello Phonics Orange Lessons 21-40 . Science of Reading
What educators are saying
Decodables for these phonics lessons are sold separately as:
*Note* This product is now complete as of Dec. 22, 2023.
This file is over 550 pages of lesson and activities that will last you 60 days to teach. It may be overwhelming, just being honest...pure goodness, but a lot. There is still a bit to print, prep and organized before getting your Hello Phonics Skill groups up and running.
This product is a set of 20 lesson plans (60 lessons total) to teach phonics based skill groups. The lessons are aligned to the Scope & Phonics Sequence I created for 100% alignment to the phonics skills taught in order.
While this product is marked as best for 1st grade, this product is best for any student, regardless of their grade, reading in the 1st grade range, who is in need of the following skills...
The target skills for these 20 lessons (that will last you 60 sessions) are:
- Lesson 21: s blends
- Lesson 22: l blends
- Lesson 23: FLOSS spellings
- Lesson 24: r blends
- Lesson 25: qu & ä
- Lesson 26: CVCe spelling for long vowels
- Lesson 27: sh, ck, or, ar
- Lesson 28: th (voiced & voiceless)
- Lesson 29: ch, wh
- Lesson 30: ng, nk
- Lesson 31: ph, three sounds of y
- Lesson 32: soft c
- Lesson 33: soft g
- Lesson 34: three sounds of ed
- Lesson 35: dge, tch
- Lesson 36: silent consonant blends (wr, kn, gn, mb, rh)
- Lesson 37: -ing with spelling changes
- Lesson 38: -ed with spelling changes
- Lesson 39: -es, -ies with spelling changes
- Lesson 40: -er, -ier, -est, -iest with spelling changes
These lessons are written in a systematic, sequential, structured format for small group for phonics instruction. See my PD ON DEMAND for how to teach this way.
Since Phonics Skill Groups (not Guided Reading) is based on grouping students according to their phonics skills (not their reading level) I have created a Quick Placement Assessment so you can easily know where to begin instruction with each of your students.
This product includes (or will):
- *20 Lesson Plans (or 60 sessions since there are really 3 20-minute sessions per 1 lesson)
- 20 Lesson Activities: Letter Cards, Games, Sound Mats, Dictation Sheets, Word Lists, Phonics Review Sheets, Sound-Symbol Mapping
- 4 Assessments (given after Orange 1, Orange 2, Orange 3 & Orange 4)
- 3 versions of Student Progress Chart for Orange Skills
- 1 Hello Phonics Scope & Sequence
- 1 Detailed Scope & Sequence: Target Skill per Book (see preview)
- 1 Detailed Scope & Sequence: Heart Words per Book (see preview)
- Binder Covers
- Class Data Tracker Sheet (PDF & Google Slide formats)
*if you did every lesson completely, it would take you 60 days/sessions for this bundle
Components of a Hello Phonics lesson for small group instruction:
(EVERYTHING BELOW IS INCLUDED)
- Phonological Awareness
- Handwriting Drill
- Sound-Symbol Mapping
- Phonics Review (auditory, visual & encoding)
- New Target Phonics Skill
- Decoding Practice
- Spelling Dictation
- Background Building Vocabulary
- Connected Text Reading
- Listening Comprehension Oral Language
- Writing About Reading Extension sheet but not done in small groups
This resource is 100% aligned to the 20 Orange Set Decodables (sold separately) already released in my store. You do not need to use MY decodables, as long as the decodable book you use targets the new phonics skill for the lesson.
PLEASE NOTE: A Phonics Skill Group IS NOT THE SAME as Guided Reading. Students in Phonics groups are grouped based on phonics skills, not reading levels. I created the Quick Placement Assessment (included in this product) so you can easily know which Phonics group to start your students in.
If you have questions, please leave them in the Q&A for this product and I'll be sure to answer them.
Thank you so much for considering this purchase, designed with the Science of Reading research and how the brain learns to read, in mind. This product also aligned to the Science of Learning.
This product is a one teacher/one class set license. If you wish to use this with your entire grade level, you pay purchase additional licenses at checkout or after checkout at your My Purchases tab. If you are purchasing this for 5 teachers to use, please buy 5 at checkout.
Jen Jones, Hello Literacy
Follow me on social media so you know when the parts are released.
©2022, Jen Jones, Hello Literacy® Inc. - Hello Phonics Orange Lessons 21-40 . Science of Reading - for single classroom use, please purchase multiple licenses at check-out for whole-grade or school-wide use, for example if 10 teachers will use it, buy 1 and add 9 additional licenses. It is a violation of TpT and the Digital Millennium Act to sell or share this product, electronically, physically, on a server with or without a firewall, without purchasing additionally licenses.
Copyright © Hello Literacy, Inc.
All rights reserved by author.
Permission to copy for single classroom use only.
Electronic distribution limited to single classroom use only.
Not for public display.