Helping In My Community | Social Emotional | Community Helpers | Social Skills
What educators are saying
Also included in
- This social skills and social emotional learning full curriculum "The Best Of Me" for Level 2 (Similar to 2nd Grade) covers the areas of self-awareness, self-management, social awareness, relationship skills, and responsible decision-making and social. This curriculum is also appropriate for gradePrice $79.00Original Price $106.25Save $27.25
This social emotional learning lesson on being a community helper helps students understand how they can help in their community and why it is important. Helping in your community helps to keep it safe, clean and happy. It also is important to teach students that you help in your community because you care and because you enjoy helping others.
Let’s teach students how how to help in their communities. This is simply done through an engaging social story game, TWO related printable activities, a transition to close the lesson, an extended learning “idea” for that week and “The Best Of Me” awards.
YES! YES! YES! See preview for a better look at this product (you might not even have to read the rest after you see the preview but I would love it if you did). Everything included is mentioned in the preview above.
The social story game contains a 24-page story that will help students practice distinguishing the difference between someone helping in their community and someone not helping. They need to decide if they show a thumbs up/down card (or use their own thumb) for yes/no answers on each page. The story is unique because it has situations for students to put “themselves” as the characters to help them make their own positive choices. Scenarios may include situations at school, home and in public places.
One activity is a small social story book that students will cut apart, color and staple back together . The second activity will require some drawing/writing and/or coloring. Students will need markers/colored pencils/crayons and a scissors to complete these activities.
A simple question students will answer to help them transition smoothly to the next activity. This also should be used as DATA to see if students understood the lesson.
A simple “idea” on how to build on this lesson. This is done through modeling, teacher acknowledgement and praise.
- Read the social story game on a DIGITAL DEVICE used as PDF or you can print it out. Students will show you the thumbs up or thumbs down cards for yes/no answers on each page. Personally, I sometimes will stop to go more in depth on the pages I feel need to be discussed more and to expand on the story.
- Have students complete the printable activity(s)
- Complete the transition activity
- Use the extended learning ”idea” for the rest of the week up to a year to build on this lesson.
- Hand out "The Best Of Me" Awards throughout the week/year when you see students giving "The Best Of Me"
This activity is simple, effective and easy to follow! I am a huge fan of simple because I think it does the trick most of the time while keeping the engagement, focus and attention!
This lesson is grouped into Level 2 (as a part of "The Best Of Me" 2nd Grade Curriculum), but can be used with all primary grade levels.
You can teach this in a large group, small group or to individual students
There is one OPTIONAL prep item (thumb cards-see preview). If you buy the entire ”The Best Of Me” curriculum linked below this is the ONLY prep item used in the entire curriculum besides the printables! YAY!!
This is research based and aligned with CASEL’s 5 Areas of Core Competence in Social Emotional Learning.
Similar version of this game on Boom Learning- Click Me!
- In-Person through Digital PDFs and printables
- Distant learning through PDFS and sending home activity sheets
- Homeschool(while replacing the teacher role with the “homeschool teacher” role)
This lesson comes in color. It is important for students to see diversity in the scenarios and color allows this. I recommend viewing it as a PDF or printing in color. However, the printable activities DO come in black & white.
FULL CURRICULUM CLICK HERE: Level 2 (Can correspond with 2nd Grade, but can be used for all primary grades)
•5 lessons on self-awareness
•5 lessons on social awareness
•5 lessons on self-management
•5 lessons on relationship skills
•5 lessons on responsible decision-making
And of course we can’t forget…
Let’s be friends!
Follow me here:
More questions? Contact me with the contact button or at
Thank you for visiting my store,
Have a great day!