This is a teacher-made test for the Second Grade Journeys series. This is the third test given in this series and teacher scaffolding can certainly be down so that the students can become more confident with the future tests. However, questions are created at a level that students should be able to answer them with or without your help. The story comprehension questions have 7 multiple choice and 2 written responses. This test encompasses all of the skills taught in lesson 3.
We have found that the cover sheet helps with grading and then can be sent home and returned after parents/guardians review the test. The test is relatively quick to check. It can be given in 1 day (about 1 hour), or separated over multiple days.
This test is broken down as follows:
• Page 1 - Cover sheet with parent/guardian signature page
• Page 2 - Vocabulary for the story of Henry and Mudge Under the Yellow Moon: fill in the blanks (8 points total)
• Pages 3 - 4- Phonics Strategy - - Long Vowels a, i and sounds for c : fill in the blanks with multiple choice (8 points total)
• Pages 5-6 - Vocabulary Strategy - Multiple Meaning Words - Multiple choice where the students choose the description that best describes the underlined multiple meaning word (4 points total)
• Pages 6-7 - Story comprehension for Henry and Mudge Under the Yellow Moon -(7 multiple choice, multi-skill questions and 2- 2 point written answer) (11 points total)
• Page 8 - Grammar -Statements and Questions - Identifying/circling the states and questions and creating statements and questions. (9 points total)
This test includes text-dependent questions for Henry and Mudge: Under the Yellow Moon by Cynthia Rylant. These questions encourage close reading of the text. Students should be encouraged to look through the book and find the answers. Questions in the test are both written response and multiple choice.
Thanks for looking at our product! We hope that you enjoy the test!
Sincerely, Nicole Ferraccio (Second Grade Sillies)