This is a teacher-made test for the Second Grade Journeys series. This is the first test given in this series and teacher scaffolding can certainly be down so that the students can become more confident with the future tests. However, questions are created at a level that students should be able to answer them with or without your help. The story comprehension questions have 7 multiple choice and 1 written response. We found that since this is the first test of the series, we did not want to overwhelm the students with too many written responses. This test encompasses all of the skills taught in lesson 1.
We have found that the cover sheet helps with grading and then can be sent home and returned after parents/guardians review the test. The test is relatively quick to check. It can be given in 1 day (about 1 hour), or separated over multiple days.
This test is broken down as follows:
• Page 1 - Cover sheet with parent/guardian signature page
• Page 2 - Vocabulary for the story of Henry and Mudge: fill in the blanks (8 points total)
• Pages 3 - 4- Phonics Strategy - short a and short i words: fill in the blanks with multiple choice (8 points total)
• Page 5 - Vocabulary Strategy - ABC Order - Alphabetize 2 sets of 5 words each. (10 points total)
• Pages 6-7 - Story comprehension for Henry and Mudge, The First Story -(7 multiple choice, multi-skill questions and 1- 2 point written answer) (9 points total)
• Page 8 - Grammar - Subjects and Predicates - Identifying/circling the subject or predicate and creating a subject and predicate.
This test includes text-dependent questions for Henry and Mudge: The First Book by Cynthia Rylant. These questions encourage close reading of the text. Students should be encouraged to look through the book and find the answers. Questions in the test are both written response and multiple choice. (6 points total)
Thanks for looking at our product! We hope that you enjoy the test!
Sincerely, Nicole Ferraccio (Second Grade Sillies)