This Caldecott Honor book contains many biographical facts about Henry "Box" Brown, as well as being a valued resource that teaches what the Underground Railroad really was. This book journal includes many story elements, as well as a "Diary" where students can step into Henry's shoes during his trip to freedom. This journal also includes graphic organizers, constructed response writing, vocabulary, and much more!
- Fiction vs. nonfiction
- What do you know about...
During Reading Activities:
-11 specific comprehension questions
- Sketch important life events.
After Reading Activities:
- Personal Traits analysis
- Compare and contrast
- Cause and effect
- Friendly letter writing - letter to Henry
- Reader's response writing prompt - text to self - 4 writing prompts: Write About It, Think about it, Go Deeper (close reading format)
- Book rating pages
- Author's purpose
- Vocabulary cards
- Biographical data - Summing it up - thoughts about what was read - Important Noun search
-Sketch favorite part.
-Web graphic organizer - facts about person
-Graphic organizer, informational paragraph
-Writing page - informational paragraph
-Beginning, Middle, End graphic organizer
-Story Retelling graphic organizer
-"Step Into Their Shoes" - writing Henry's diary pages
-Main idea graphic organizer
Can be used in whole, small and individual settings. Can be used as individual pages or as a packet.