The Heroin Drug Unit might be the most important lesson you teach every year. Local communities around our country are facing a drug problem of epic proportion. Heroin and other addictive drugs are flooding into every city in America. The need to educate our students about these drugs may be the most important issue we teach them about this year. This unit is designed to be a week long challenge for students to research and create awareness plan for the local community about the effects of heroin (or you can alter for other drugs) on our society. All assignments are perfect for health and social studies classes. I've set up a possible school wide assembly for you to host if you can get local officials to come present with you. We issued a challenge to all schools in our county to participate and local government officials have committed to present at a school wide assembly at each school.
Hook: Dateline Video and questions/assignments
Awareness Video Assignment and topics
Poster & Slogan Assignment
T-Shirt Creation assignment
School Wide Assembly plan with the videos
Relevant State Standards
Websites and resources for research
1. “The deadly effects of an overdose”
2. The statistics: Choose any subtopic from below and use stats to provide a realistic view of the drug and its effects.
a. Local and national statistics and/or facts of addicts
b. Local and/or national effects on courts, community and/or the police
c. Health Effects of addicts
d. Legal effects on addicts
e. Other Effects & consequences of addicts- family, money and/or legal
3. The Signs of abusers: “Is my child addicted” Code Words, Phrases, and physical signs of abusers.
4. “Resisting Peer Pressure and How to Say No”
5. What to do if there is a problem: A how to address an abuser? What can you do?
6. The Rehabilitation of an Addict: “The Road to Recovery”
7. Conclusion: “Something to Live For”