It is important for students to have choice when it comes to reading. This project allows students to choose from a wide variety of novels that feature the "Hero's Journey" plot structure. Assign this independent project to reinforce "journey" novels discussed in class. Perfect compliment for units on THE GIVER, THE ILLIAD, THE ODYSSEY, 127 HOURS and endless others. Students read a novel of choice, take notes and then create a board game that highlights the stages. What a great way to advertise books!!
This project focuses on a modified hero's journey and targets the following stages only: Call to Adventure, Crossing the Threshold, Road of Trials, Refusal of the Call, Unconditional Love and Ultimate Boon.
The FULLY EDITABLE POWERPOINT includes the following:
1. Cover Page with project goal and due date spot
2. Student-friendly step by step instructions for creating a board game
3. Sample Journey Cards (using HUNGER GAMES)
4. Blank Journey Cards
5. Journey Note-taking sheets
6. Grading Rubric
7. Suggested Reading List of novels that contain the Hero's Journey (middle/high school titles)