Have fun teaching your students about one of our American heroes, Ruby Bridges! This unit is excellent to use during Black History Month in February. Ruby Brides, a 6-year-old African American girl paved the way for desegregation in public schools lighting a path towards the civil rights movement. The following activities are included in this unit:
1. "Our Class Book" in both color and greyscale.
2. Ruby Bridges Mini Book: the students get to illustrate each page in the story. The pages are in the shape of an old school.
3. Graphic Organizer and Facts about Ruby Bridges
4. Facts sheets to use with the graphic organizer
5. Informational Writing about Ruby Bridges using the facts in both color and greyscale.
6. Ruby Bridges Describing Words
7. Ruby Bridges Vocabulary Words for the classroom with definitions on mini posters. Also, in color and greyscale.
8. 120 Chart Art with Ruby Bridge's Name: the numbers are posted around the room and colored in on the 120 chart to spell out her name.
9. "Fair or Unfair" game for class discussion
10. Maze to get Ruby to school safely
Additional Resources for Black History Month:
Martin Luther King, Jr. Mini Unit
George Washington Carver