- This is the perfect book to use for a Winter or Hibernation theme! The little tortoise just wants to sleep, but all of his forest friends want him to play! Loads of opportunities for sequencing, learning about the changing seasons and hibernation! Concepts Covered Include: Vocabulary (disturb, snugg
- The animals are getting ready for hibernation, pajamas, pillows and all! Michelle Meadows introduces a scientific concept – hibernation in a fun manner that little learners can understand. However, falling asleep for the winter does not run so smoothly. Your children will be able to relate to the s
- Use these materials along with the NEW book The Snowy Nap by Jan Brett! When winter comes, Hedgie wants to stay awake so he doesn't miss out on all of the winter fun! All the farm animals say goodnight to Hedgie before he goes to sleep for the winter...and each one tells him about the winter time f
150 Pages of Hibernation Book Companion Materials!
Use with the following titles:
by Jan Brett (81 pages)
by Katy Hudson (34 pages)
by Michelle Meadows (35 pages)
Here's a detailed list for each companion and what they include:
Use these materials along with the NEW book The Snowy Nap by Jan Brett!
When winter comes, Hedgie wants to stay awake so he doesn't miss out on all of the winter fun! All the farm animals say goodnight to Hedgie before he goes to sleep for the winter...and each one tells him about the winter time fun he will miss while he is hibernating....Lisa making snowmen, icicles decorating the chicken coop and fun on the frozen pond! Before he can fall asleep, winter arrives! Lisa takes him inside to watch all the wonders of winter all cozy and warm next to the window!
Jan Brett has a perfect way of incorporating tons of sequencing fun into her children's book! Add this to your winter reading rotation along with her other favorites...
The Mitten and The Hat!
- Colored Picture Cards: perfect for the pocket chart or small group sequencing and retelling activities!
- Matching Word Cards
- Text to Self Writing
- Sequencing with Pictures: cut and glue activity
- Sequencing with Text: cut and glue activity
- Favorite Part (three differentiated options)
- Prediction Printable (three differentiated options)
- Problem and Solution Graphic Organizer
- Story Map
- ABC Order: put the words from the story in ABC order
- Prickly Punctuation: read the sentences and add the proper punctuation
- Make a List: children will make a list of other animals that hibernate and draw a picture of one of them in the space provided
- Make a List: children will RECALL the sequence of the other animals in the story and make a list...then they can draw one of the animals in the space provided
- Sequence the Animals in the Story: cut and glue
- Beginning, Middle and End
- Vocabulary Cards and Definition Cards: 21 vocabulary word cards and matching definition cards
- Vocabulary Activity Printables: read and match the definitions of the vocabulary words-a cut and glue matching activity (great for assessment of vocabulary)
- Vocabulary Thinking Printables: 10 printables-each one highlights a new vocabulary word....children will look at the picture, read the sentence and then explain what the vocabulary word means.
- 5 W's of the Story: Who? What? Where? When? Why? writing activity
- Answer Key for the WWWWW with sample answers
- Non-Fiction All About Hedgehogs!
- Hedgehogs can, have are graphic organizer: cut and glue the responses in the organizer to make sense!
- Answer Key
- My Hedgehog Information Book: 6 pages for recording Hedgehog information!
- I learned that hedgehogs have....
- I can label the hedgehog....
- I learned that hedgehogs are...
- I learned that hedgehogs can...
- I know that hedgehogs...
- I wonder if hedgehogs...
- Fun Facts About Hedgehogs Printables:
- Hedgehogs look, eat, live, like....fill it in printable
- The Hedgehog Habitat: Draw and Write
- The Diet of a Hedgehog: Draw and Write
- The Appearance of a Hedgehog: Draw and Write
- Funny Hedgehog Facts: Draw and Write
- Looking Close at a Hedgehog: Fill in the answers to some simple questions about hedgehogs!
- Three Hedgehog Information "Fill in the Blanks"! Read each sentence and use the word banks to fill in the missing words!
- Hedgehog Writing Craftivity
- The Shimmering Chicken Coop Craftivity: Color the chicken coop all wintery and add some silver glitter to make is shimmer! Shimmering is one of the vocabulary words...so I love doing this craft along with the vocabulary work!
Vocabulary Word List:
This is the perfect book to use for a Winter or Hibernation theme!
The little tortoise just wants to sleep, but all of his forest friends want him to play!
Loads of opportunities for sequencing, learning about the changing seasons and hibernation!
Concepts Covered Include:
Vocabulary (disturb, snuggled, groaned, sculptures, trudged, whizzed, spun, grumbled, hiked, hibernation)
Sequencing (with text and pictures)
Problem and Solution
Vocabulary Cards: 10 vocabulary word cards with definition cards to match
Vocabulary Printables: 5 follow-up activity sheets to "show what you know" about each of the new vocabulary words!
Vocabulary Cut and Glue Printables: cut and glue the definitions to match the words
Comprehension Printable: read the question and color in the correct answer (multiple choice options)
Animals that Hibernate Printable: Make a list of other animals that hibernate. Then draw a picture of one of them!
Who Woke Up Tortoise? Printable: Cut and Glue Sequencing activity with pictures of the animals that tried to wake Tortoise up! Perfect sequencing activity for children who may not be able to do a text sequencing activity!
Beginning Middle and End Printable: Sequence the simple sentences that tell about the beginning, middle and end of the story!
ABC Order Printable: Look at the words from the story. Write them in ABC Order!
Proper Punctuation Printable: Read the sentences about the story. Add the proper punctuation at the end of each sentence!
Problem and Solution Organizer: Write or Draw the problem and the solution in this story
"DESIGN a SIGN" Printable: DO NOT DISTURB! Tortoise needs a sign to remind the forest friends it is time for him to sleep! Make a Do Not Disturb! sign for Tortoise!
Prediction Printables: Differentiated with more lines for more writing, one line for a little bit of writing or no lines (blank bordered printable) for children to draw a prediction!
The animals are getting ready for hibernation, pajamas, pillows and all! Michelle Meadows introduces a scientific concept – hibernation in a fun manner that little learners can understand. However, falling asleep for the winter does not run so smoothly. Your children will be able to relate to the same bed time problems that the animals in the story have... Someone’s hungry, someone spilled their water, someone is scared and they all need help to settle in!
This book is a great way to integrate science into your reading activities about hibernation and winter!
Pocket Chart Cards
Animals that Hibernate Picture Cards
Hibernation Habitat Picture Cards (one for each of the animals)
Emergent Reader all about hibernating animals
Color the Habitat and draw the hibernating animals (5)
Hedgehog, Raccoon, Chipmunk, Bear and Snake
Problem and Solution
Cut and Glue
Game Mats: Roll and Cover and BUMP
The book isn't included, but is necessary for completing the activities!
You will be able to use a lot of the materials with any book about hibernation!
The preview shows all of the materials in this resource, so you can see what is included and make sure it is a good fit for your class!
Please follow my store for new products and freebies!
Here are links to some of my Winter Themed Materials:
If you like this set of materails, please leave me feedback! Follow my store for new products and FREEBIES! Your feedback earns you TPT credits to use towards future purchases and helps other buyers know if you liked a product!