Also included in
- Distance Learning Packets- Students love reading passages about animals. This is a collection of nonfiction passages on animals along with comprehension questions. Purchasing them together here you will save 20%, These passages have scientific information about animals in high-interest passages. S$41.40$51.75Save $10.35
- 5th Grade Utah SEEd Bundle: This is a year's worth of lessons and units that address all of the Utah SEEd standards for 5th grade. Save 20% by purchasing together! You save time by purchasing this from someone who understands Utah SEEd. Would you like to know more about Utah SEEd? These units use ph$108.48$135.60Save $27.12
- Utah SEEd Third-grade Bundle This resource bundles all my 3rd-grade resources for Utah SEEd into one package with a discount of 20%. You save time by purchasing this from someone who understands Utah SEEd. Would you like to know more about Utah SEEd? It also includes resources that address Utah Cor$116.52$145.65Save $29.13
- This third-grade science bundle includes all of my resources for third-grade NGSS,as well as third-grade resources for reading informational text. Save 20% by purchasing this huge bundle. Teachers and school districts will love this third-grade Huge NGSS Bundle with a wide variety of labs, centers,$145.20$179.85Save $34.65
- This fourth-grade NGSS science bundle includes all of my resources for 4th-grade NGSS. It also includes fourth-grade resources for reading informational text. Teachers and school districts will love this Huge fourth-grade NGSS Bundle with a wide variety of labs, centers, nonfiction articles, and mor$145.96$179.50Save $33.54
- This NGSS 5th-grade bundle covers the entire year of NGSS standards for fifth grade. This bundle also includes reading informational text units with a science theme. Purchase in the bundle and save 20%. You will love this great bundle for fifth-grade science. Get NGSS Resources from someone who unde$131.40$164.25Save $32.85
- Fourth Grade Utah SEEd Bundle This resource bundles all my 4th-grade resources for Utah SEEd into one package with a discount of 20%. You save time by purchasing this from someone who understands Utah SEEd. Would you like to know more about Utah SEEd? This huge bundle includes a year’s worth of r$102.56$128.20Save $25.64
Hibernation and Migration: This is a unit of close reading passages for winter reading comprehension. These reading comprehension passages on hibernation and migration will have your students practicing reading informational text and increase your students' science literacy as they learn about behavioral adaptations such as hibernation and migration. The text-dependent questions will encourage your students to read back into the text to answer the comprehension questions. Students will be engaged with this great set of winter reading passages and activities.
This unit includes:
- six pages of high-interest informational text
- reading response pages
- comprehension questions
- writing prompts
- a quiz
- interactive notebook flaps
- answer keys
- a slideshow concept attainment lesson on hibernation.
- a suggested schedule
This is a very low prep unit that would be great for students in grades 3-6. This is a great start to teaching about animal adaptations and the difference between behavioral adaptations and structural adaptations. We will also look at why and how animals migrate and hibernate. Great for winter reading activities.
There is a suggested schedule for this unit. It will take about 12 days if all the pages are used. There are six pages of informational text: three on hibernation and three on migration.
The reading level is appropriate for high 3rd grade- 6th-grade students.
Science Topic Addressed:
Behavioral vs. Structural adaptations
Survival in Winter
Making an argument from evidence
This resource is aligned with NGSS LS4.C: Adaptation
From the Strand Biological Evolution: Unity and Diversity and CCSS for reading informational text. The focus is on the behavioral adaptation of hibernation and migration and how organisms benefit from these behavioral adaptations. The informational text passages go along nicely with the following NGSS standards:
3-LS3-2. Use evidence to support the explanation that traits can be influenced by the environment.
3-LS4-2. Use evidence to construct an explanation for how the variations in characteristics among individuals of the same
NGSS 3-LS2-1. Construct an argument that some animals form groups that help members survive.
3-LS4-3. Construct an argument with evidence that in a particular habitat some organisms can survive well, some survive
less well, and some cannot survive at all.
4-LS1-1. Construct an argument that plants and animals have internal and external structures that function to support
survival, growth, behavior, and reproduction.
species may provide advantages in surviving, finding mates, and reproducing
NGSS MS LS2-4 Construct an argument supported by empirical evidence that changes to physical or biological components of an ecosystem affect populations.
Please leave feedback on this great winter reading activity.
Created by Lynda R. Williams
Teaching Science With Lynda
Remember that leaving feedback earns you TPT points toward future purchases. Also, FOLLOW ME to be notified when new products are added. This is a huge bonus because my products are always 50% off for the first 24 hours they are posted
Please see my other reading passages and comprehension questions: