Hidden arrays can help students make the leap from concrete to abstract when solving multiplication and as they learn to understand multiplication-facts and times tables.
A hidden array shows students the top and side row of an array with a rectangle concealing most of the dots.
Use the hidden array cards for
- assessing if students can understand multiplication as equal rows (show an array and ask them to describe or draw it)
- math warm ups - project an array on the board and ask students to tell you the array + total
- matching activities - print the array cards 4 to a page to make little playing cards. Match these to total and fact cards
- hidden arrays for 12x12 through to 1x2
- full array cards for 12x12, 12x11, 12x10, 12x9, 12x8, 12x7, 12x6, 12x5, 12x4, 12x3, 12x2
- fact cards for every multiplication in range (e.g. 12x12, 12x11, 12x10) to match hidden array cards
- total cards to match every hidden array card
- recording worksheet
- cover page
- talking about equal groups/rows
- talking about repeated addition
- introducing arrays
- linking multiplication with memorizing facts (times tables)
- review for students struggling to make leap to times tables
We hope you love using this versatile resource as a staple in your multiplication lessons.