High frequency words are words that appear often in the first leveled books for emergent readers. Contrary to popular belief, these words can be phonetic or irregular.
This kindergarten to first grade assessment includes:
• three sets of 20 high frequency words (student sheets)
• a recording sheet
• class summaries for recording the high frequency words recognized by every student
• a word wall word organizer
You can use the results of this assessment to help:
• determine words to put on your word wall, including phonetic key words
• form guided reading groups
• decide which books to use with different groups
• know the high frequency words that need to be taught in large or small group
• compare students' performance on phonetic and nonphonetic words
• give you a glimpse of phonetic elements that need to be taught
You might want to check out the complete assessment from which this resource is taken, which also contains a Phonetic Words Assessment: Diagnostic Literacy Assessment for Beginning Guided Reading: K-1
Happy testing and teaching!
You can check out my related resources by going to the custom categories at my Teachers Pay Teachers store:
How to get TpT credit to use toward future purchases
1. Go to your My Purchases page.
2. Click on Provide Feedback for the item.
3. Give a rating and a comment—even a short one.
Each time you leave feedback, TpT gives you Feedback Credits that you can apply toward future purchases. It takes just a few seconds!
Be the first to learn about my new freebies, discounts, and products! To become a Follower
, click on the green star next to my store logo, at Many Roads to Reading
: I welcome you to leave a message or question for me at my TpT store,Many Roads to Reading
, or by email