This word workbook reinforces 220 high frequency words first graders need to know. The words were selected from the weekly vocabulary words in the Journeys Literacy program. Other than the words selected from Journeys, this work is completely my own. Many of the common core literacy strategies were incorporated into this book.
The workbook was designed for the vocabulary words to build upon themselves. Each week will incorporate some of the words from prior weeks. Each week also incorporates a different phonics strategy beginning with the basic short vowels to the more complex phonemes as the weeks progress.
The workbook was planned for 30 weeks. There are five pages for each of the 30 weeks. The same six (first ten weeks) or eight high frequency words are used on each page.
Page 1: The first page is structured for students to read the word, trace the word, write the word in boxes to support visual recognition, and then to write the word on dotted lines. I encourage my students to say the word each time they write it.
Page 2: The second page requires students to alphabetize the focus words. Although space is limited, I also had my students draw a picture in the left or right margin next to each word. This is not necessary but served as a quick assessment to see if they really did know their vocabulary words.
Page 3: The third page has students choose a focus word that would best complete the sentence. They then rewrite the sentence below.
Page 4: The fourth page has a short story. Students find the focus words in the story and then learn to choose the best answer to questions asked. They are also to write a connection. Each week I chose a different connection I wanted them to focus on making.
Page 5: The fifth page has students build the focus words for the week. I also have my students write their own sentences using the words on the back. As the year progresses, I encourage them to create a story using the focus words.
Common Core Literacy Standards Met:
- CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RL.1.1 Ask and answer questions about key details in a text.
- CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RL.1.4 Identify words and phrases in stories or poems that suggest feelings or appeal to the senses.
- CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RI.1.2 Identify the main topic and retell key details of a text.
- CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RI.1.4 Ask and answer questions to help determine or clarify the meaning of words and phrases in a text.
- CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RI.1.7 Use the illustrations and details in a text to describe its key ideas
- CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RI.1.9 Identify basic similarities in and differences between two texts on the same topic (e.g., in illustrations, descriptions, or procedures).
- CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RF.1.1 Demonstrate understanding of the organization and basic features of print.
- CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RF.1.3 Know and apply grade-level phonics and word analysis skills in decoding words.
- CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RF.1.4 Read with sufficient accuracy and fluency to support comprehension.
- CCSS.ELA-Literacy.L.1.1j Produce and expand complete simple and compound declarative, interrogative, imperative, and exclamatory sentences in response to prompts.
- CCSS.ELA-Literacy.L.1.2 Demonstrate command of the conventions of standard English capitalization, punctuation, and spelling when writing.
- CCSS.ELA-Literacy.L.1.4 Determine or clarify the meaning of unknown and multiple-meaning words and phrases based on grade 1 reading and content, choosing flexibly from an array of strategies.
- CCSS.ELA-Literacy.L.1.1a Print all upper- and lowercase letters
Thanks! Jeri Thompson (Nebo)
First Grade Word Workbook
by Jeri Thompson
is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License