This game complements Harcourt's Storytown 2nd grade theme 1 Lesson 4.
Engaging activity to help practice high frequency words:
high frequency word cards
Super Hero game pieces
Can be used with 2 or more players
I blew the game board up with our photocopier and used with a small group, but you could glue to a file folder and make a file folder game!
Game objective: Pick a card, read the sentence aloud, and correctly fill-in-the blank with the best high frequency word choice. However, if the card only has a high frequency word on it, the player must correctly read the word aloud and make a complete sentence using the high frequency word. The first player to reach the end of the game board wins the round.
• How to play:
1. Player 1 spins the spinner and moves that many spaces on the game board.
2. He or she will then pick a card and read the sentence or word. (If the card only has a high frequency word on it, the player must correctly read the word aloud and make a complete sentence using the high frequency word.
3. If the group or opponent agrees that the player completed the sentence correctly and the sentence makes sense, or the word was read aloud correctly and the constructed sentence makes sense the next player may go. If the sentence is not correct or the word was read aloud incorrectly, he or she may ask the next player for help and only move 1 space.
4. If a player gets a bam card, they must move back 2 spaces.
5. If a player gets a boom card, they get to move ahead 3 spaces.