This complete, print-and-go unit plan will excite both teachers and teens by ramping up traditional poetry lessons with modern-designed, multimedia materials. My MASSIVE poetry lesson bundle includes FOUR WEEKS OF COMPLETE LESSON MATERIALS designed for high school and advanced middle school students. (58 PDF pages, 147 slides, and media links)
This HUGE bundle includes:
• A day-by-day calendar to follow with helpful details and nightly homework assignments (read this file first when you open the bundle) (3-pg. PDF)
• How to Read a Poem
introductory lecture with guided notes handout to provide structure, strategy, and a reference guide for students as they work through all of the poems in this unit (35 slides; 2-pg. PDF)
• Know the Lingo
poetic terminology grid/matching game activity to help students quickly review poetry terms they already know and learn some they might not already know (2-pg. PDF)
• Pop Music/Classical Poetry compare/contrast
activity where students deconstruct two songs they enjoy (“Stereo Hearts” by Gym Class Heroes and “Breakeven” by The Script) and compare them with classic poems that use the same themes and structures. (7-pg. PDF)
• Close reading/poetry dissection activity to use with William Shakespeare’s classic poem, “The Seven Ages of Man.”
(5-pg. PDF; 2 video links)
• Dynamic lecture to teach William Shakespeare’s poetic sonnet structure and iambic pentameter.
• Write Your Own Shakespearean Sonnet
activity with modern topic assignment slips. (3-pg. PDF)
• Close reading/poetry dissection activity to use with Robert Herrick’s classic poem, “To the Virgins to Make Much of Time (Gather Ye Rosebuds).”
(2-pg. PDF; 1 mp4 clip)
• Close reading/poetry dissection activity to use with Walt Whitman’s classic poem, “O Me! O Life!”
This lesson also includes a compelling non-fiction and media criticism activity. (4-pg. PDF)
• Poetry Cafe: A Spoken Word Experience activity plan, which includes detailed instructions on how to host your own student-led poetry reading, two examples of modern spoken word poets in action, and a student assignment sheet. (5-pg. PDF)
• Close reading/poetry dissection activity to use with Walt Whitman’s classic poem, “O Captain! My Captain!”
This lesson includes “Strange But True” non-fiction comparison materials. (3-pg. PDF; 6 slides in both PDF and Powerpoint format)
• How to Haiku
student worksheet with haiku examples and visual inspiration to encourage students to write their own haiku poems (1-pg. PDF; 3-slide Powerpoint; 1 bonus JPG file for fun)
• Close reading/poetry dissection activity to use with Edgar Allan Poe’s classic poem, “The Raven.”
This lesson includes dynamic, multimedia lecture materials and a Faux Poe worksheet/creative writing assignment. (45 slides; 4-pg. PDF)
• Compare/Contrast activity
of two poems written about Helen of Troy. (2-pg PDF)
• Acrostic poetry handout
with advanced examples and a student writing challenge featuring four different teacher-choice options (5-pg. PDF)
• Blackout Poetry
(also known as Found Poetry) lecture and hands-on activity. (27 slides)
• End-of-unit exam, including 18 matching questions, 6 multiple choice, and 6 short answer questions calling on students to analyze two poems they have not previously seen in the unit. Includes detailed answer key. (8-pg. PDF)
This is a total of 58 pages of rich content, plus four visually dynamic Prezis with “zoom” animation to “wow” your class (147 slides). You don’t need special software to run a Prezi; only an Internet connection is needed.
All materials come with complete, detailed answer keys.
Note: Most items included in this bundle are sold separately in my store, but you’ll SAVE MORE THAN 25 PERCENT by buying them together. No need to purchase these items separately if you grab this budget-priced bundle. The other three items – the calendar, Poetry Cafe assignment, and unit exam – are sold only as part of this bundle. If you’d like a closer look at any of the separate items, just click on the links above for more product details and sample images.
Thanks for stopping by!