Are you looking for an engaging activity to teach phonics skills or a way to spice up your word work time and literacy stations? These free phonics worksheets allow students to practice decoding a variety of spelling patterns and sounds.
Students simply search for examples in text and highlight them. When finished, they can practice reading each sentence for fluency practice. Most importantly, kids will be requesting this literacy activity once you introduce highlighters!
Sentences use basic sight words and decodable text to help build independent readers. After identifying sounds and spelling patterns, students can then sort the words into the correct category. The activity includes highlight & record pages for Short Vowels, Double Consonants, Vowel Teams, Digraphs, Long Vowels (CVCe), and R-Controlled vowels.
- Small group practice on targeted sounds
- Spelling homework
- Morning work
- Supplement with Word Sorting Programs
- Whole group phonics lessons while projected on the board
- Differentiated independent work (during literacy stations)
- RTI Practice for struggling readers
- Simple support for ESL students
- Print and laminate for paper-saving center practice with dry erase markers
If your kids love this activity and are begging you for more, this set is just one part of my best selling (and money saving) Highlight & Record Bundle
which includes Short Vowels, Blends and Digraphs, Long Vowels, R Controlled Vowels,
and this Phonics Freebie
K's Classroom Kreations
For other literacy ideas try my:
Creative Writing Prompts for the Year: Napkin Book Writing Center
Missing Punctuation Literacy Center
Elementary Sight Word Sandwich Center