PDF (Acrobat) Document File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing.
This Project-Based Learning unit for Novice Spanish students introduces the concept of Hispanic Heritage Month using authentic cultural resources and student-driven discussion. It gives students an opportunity to demonstrate that they can utilize the target language to communicate basic facts and information about another person, and in doing so challenges students to use their Spanish communication skills to raise awareness for Hispanic Heritage Month in their school community. It also gives them opportunities to practice 21st-century presentational skills needed to communicate information to a broader audience both in their school community and online.
Included in the unit are:
- A short lesson introducing the concept of Hispanic Heritage Month including links to authentic resources and a worksheet to be used in class.
- A list of celebrities with Hispanic Heritage.
- A student instruction sheet with specific instructions for the PBL.
- Teacher lesson plan instructions with a teaching timeline.
- Rubrics for evaluating student work.
By the end of the project, students will produce:
- A completed worksheet with information about Hispanic Heritage Month
- A digital presentation about a famous Hispanic celebrity
- A poster to be shared in the school community with a QR code on it that links to their presentation
- A Spanish tweet to their famous person that includes a link to their project that the teacher will share with the famous person on Twitter
- A few sentences about their famous person that they can share on the school announcements to bring awareness to Hispanic Heritage Month in their community
If you like this project, but aren't currently celebrating Hispanic Heritage Month, check out my Hispanic Celebrity PBL here for a similar project that you can use any time of year.