***Perfect for National Hispanic Heritage Month!*** In this ready-to-go biographical article and activity mini-unit bundle about 3 influential Hispanic leaders in art, sports, and civil rights- Frida Kahlo, Roberto Clemente, and Cesar Chavez - beginner to intermediate ESL students practice reading and responding to informational texts. These texts can be used for an in-class activity, homework, or an emergency sub plan. I designed this resource with upper-level elementary, middle school, and high school ESL students in mind because I often find resources that are appropriate for my students' language levels, but not their age levels. My goal is to create ESL materials that are appropriate for both. Included in this resource are:
1. Frida Kahlo, Roberto Clemente, and Cesar Chavez biographical articles (each 1.5 - 2 pages in length)
2. Vocabulary: Academic vocabulary (Tier 2 & 3 words) in bold print throughout reading. Vocabulary chart, adapted from Learner's Dictionary, at the end of reading with definitions. Parts of speech and singular/plural words are also identified in the chart.
3. Spelling Practice: Students unscramble vocabulary words and write the correct spelling in sentences taken from the reading.
4. Vocabulary Practice: Students complete cloze sentences with the correct vocabulary word. Sentences are out of the context of the reading.
5. Vocabulary Cards: Words and definitions on cards. Great for matching activities, such as Memory, or word walls.
6. Grammar: Students conjugate verbs from reading into past tense.
7. Sequencing Main Events: Students list main events in order.
8. Text feature Identification: Students identify text features like title, subheadings, topic and concluding sentences.
9. Question Annotation: Students underline question words once, verbs twice, and circle the subject.
10. Reading Comprehension: After students annotate questions, they answer comprehension questions using complete sentences.
11. Cause and Effect worksheet based on reading.
12. Paragraph-Writing Outline: Sections for topic sentence, details, examples, and sentence.
13. Paragraph Writing Template
14. CCSS Alignment
15. Teaching Tips
ESL Human Rights Leaders Informational Texts, Activities, & Final Hero Project
Roberto Clemente Biographical Article & Activities
Cesar Chavez Biographical Article & Activities
Frida Kahlo Biographical Article & Activities