This PowerPoint is designed as a unit for Spanish 3, 4 or AP students studying immigration in the United States.
The unit covers the following topics:
1. Types of immigrants
2. Methods used to enter the country illegally
3. What is a Visa and the different types
4. Visa statistics and wait times
5. Discussion questions including accepting Visas preferentially and why people enter illegally
6. Causes and consequences of immigration
7. Statistics of the undocumented population
8. Undocumented immigrants and taxes
9. The border wall (video and photos)
All information is in Spanish unless it is a direct quote from the Internet. Please reference the notes on some slides for additional teaching directions. This unit takes me an average of two weeks to cover in 40-minute periods. We finish the unit by watching "La Misma Luna" and writing an opinion essay (see below).
Other Materials to Accompany This Document
Inmigración en los Estados Unidos - Essay Assignment
Hechos sobre la inmigración - Student Research Activity on Immigration