This digital notebook was created to be used along with Lucy Calkins' Historical Fiction Book Clubs, Middle School Unit of Study. Slides align with the sessions in the unit, however, some liberties were taken with them.
You will NOT find lesson plans in this unit as you would have to use the Calkins' unit for those details. I create these notebooks because I find her units to be too wordy and too open-ended for my students. Having more guidelines and organization has helped my students immensely in tackling reading workshop.
I used this with 7th grade using this list for their book choices. I read aloud the book We are Not Free by Traci Chee.
- 16 student slides to be used with historical fiction books, reading workshop style.
- Sample slides created by me with my classes.
- Guidelines for how I used each slide in alignment with the unit. I also include the excerpts I used from the mentor text.
Skills of focus:
- Characters' reactions to trouble
- Significance of other characters
- Connecting history to book
- And more!
BONUS: I also included two non-Google assignments I made up for my classes!
*** This was created to be used with Google Classroom and/or Google Suite. Please email me with questions/concerns...I almost always fix them if reasonable! ***
© Copyright 2022 M. Mariano. All rights reserved. Permission is granted to copy pages specifically designed for student or teacher use by the original purchaser or licensee. This is intended to be used by one teacher unless additional licenses have been purchased. The reproduction of any other part of this product is strictly prohibited.