Historical Fiction Lesson Plan
Grab this 45-minute lesson and GO!! EVERYTHING you need to hit the ground running – including a word-for-word (teacher-tested and student-approved) scrip, and 14 colorful classroom/library charts, graphic organizers, and posters!!!
Through this engaging and educational lesson, students will be driven by the essential question “How can we develop a deeper understanding of the characters, setting, and plot in historical fiction books?”. Students will learn to FLEX their schema and background knowledge by:
• determining what background information is needed to make sense of the story.
• expanding their knowledge and gathering some facts about the time period.
This lesson aligns with Common Core and AASL Standards:
• Common Core Reading Anchor Standards:
*Integration of Knowledge and Ideas: Integrate and evaluate content presented in diverse media formats, including visually and quantitatively, as well as in words.
• AASL Standards
*Inquire, Think Critically, and Gain Knowledge: Skills: Use prior and background knowledge as context for new learning.
This detailed lesson includes a complete set of Historical Fiction resources and planning tools:
• A scripted lesson plan including:
1. Essential Questions
2. “I Can” Statements
3. Common Core and AASL Standards Alignment
5. Previous Lessons/Context of Lesson
9. Next Steps
• Historical Fiction Chart (Definition)
• Historical Fiction Readers Chart (What good Historical Fiction Readers Do)
• Schema Chart (Definition)
• American Revolution Chart (progressive example of building schema)
• 4 slides of quick research questions and research
• Clothesline Code Images based on The Scarlet Stockings Spy by Trinka Hankes Noble
I love followers!
Get the inside scoop on all store discounts, free products, and product launches. Just click the green “Follow Me” star under my store name on this page or click the green “Follow Me” star on our store homepage. All followers automatically receive 20% off new materials posted for the first 24 hours! It pays to follow me!!
Sprinkle a little pixie dust in your library today!
© Library Pixie Dust