In this ready-to-go, Common Core Aligned biographical article and activity mini-unit about the history and traditions of Thanksgiving, beginner to intermediate ESL students practice reading and responding to informational text. It can be used for an in-class activity, homework, or an emergency sub plan. I designed this resource with upper-level elementary, middle school, and high school ESL students in mind because I often find resources that are appropriate for my students' language levels, but not their age levels. My goal is to create ESL materials that are appropriate for both. Included in this resource are:
1. The History and Traditions of Thanksgiving article (1 page in length)
2. Vocabulary: Academic vocabulary (Tier 2 & 3 words) in bold print throughout reading. Vocabulary chart, adapted from Learner's Dictionary, at the end of reading with definitions. Parts of speech and singular/plural words are also identified in the chart.
3. Spelling Practice: Students unscramble vocabulary words and write the correct spelling in sentences taken from the reading.
4. Vocabulary Practice: Students complete cloze sentences with the correct vocabulary word. Sentences are out of the context of the reading.
5. Vocabulary Cards: Words and definitions on cards. Great for matching activities, such as Memory, or word walls.
6. Grammar: Students conjugate verbs from reading into past tense.
7. Question Annotation: Students underline question words once, verbs twice, and circle the subject.
8. Reading Comprehension: After students annotate questions, they answer comprehension questions using complete sentences.
9. Paragraph-Writing Outline: Sections for topic sentence, details, examples, and sentence.
10. Paragraph Writing Template
11. CCSS Alignment
12. Teaching Tips
U.S. Presidents for ESL: George Washington
U.S. Presidents for ESL: Abraham Lincoln
Benjamin Franklin Biographical Article and Activities for ESL
Harriet Tubman Biographical Article and Activities for ESL