This unit could just as easily work in an English class as it does History - especially when paired with a historical fiction novel. The first slide gives an agenda overview - listing the activities (available through links) and the order to be completed.
1. Show and Tell - have students write a quick speech about a possession that they love or use all the time. Ask students to bring their possession and read their speeches to the class
2. Images (link provided) - a visual walk through history (technology, culture, inventions); then and now; digital notes
3. Video (link provided) - technologies of the past and present
4. Article (link provided) - Life in the 1800s; includes analysis questions
5. Writing Prompts - 13 questions; journal entries
6. Project: Future Invention - directions and rubric (link provided)
7. Shark Tank - create a panel and have students try to promote and sell their inventions