Teach students about the history of jazz music with these jazz music history worksheets, reading activities and song about the origins of jazz music. Beginning with its African heritage, the song is written as a reading passage that explores jazz history with its roots in the Congo Square of New Orleans, moving up to the "Jazz Age" with Louis Armstrong. The song can be accessed on YouTube for students to listen to as a part of the activity.
Listen with subtitles on YouTube!
This resource includes:
- the song lyrics
- a list of comprehension questions with the answer key
- a context clues activity: students will define jazz music terms and other content vocabulary words using context clues in the "Jazz Music History for Kids" song
- a timeline activity with a graphic organizer
- a sequential paragraph activity that utilizes the timeline
How to use this resource:
- Students will preview the comprehension questions on pages 1 and 2 then listen to the song while following along with the lyrics on pages 3 and 4.
- Next, students will answer the questions on pages 1 and 2.
- Students will then complete the context clues, timeline, and sequential paragraph activities on the following pages.
- The answer key for pages 1, 2, and 5 are located on pages 8, 9, and 10.
Click here to follow our store for updates!
Get monthly freebies!
Get a custom-made song for free!
You may also like:
Compare & Contrast Nonfiction Passage, Jazz Musicians Reading Activities & Song
Biography Passages with Questions and Timelines Using History Songs Bundle #1
Context Clues Passages with Multiple Choice Questions Using History Bundle #1
Women's History Reading Comprehension Passages with Questions & Songs Bundle #1
Sequence of Events Nonfiction Reading Passages Using History Bundle #1
Black History Reading Comprehension Passages with Questions and Songs Bundle #1
Timeline Worksheets and Timeline Passages with Questions Using History Songs
*Leave a review if you liked our product.*
Copyright © 2018 Rap Opera for Kids. All rights reserved by author. This product is to be used by the original downloader only. Copying for more than one teacher, classroom, department, school, or school system is prohibited. This product may not be distributed or displayed digitally for public view. Failure to comply is a copyright infringement and a violation of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA). Images and elements found in this PDF are copyrighted and cannot be extracted and used outside of this file without permission or license. Intended for classroom and personal use ONLY.