Use this set of 3 daily quizzes on "Earth's History and the Origin of Life" to keep your students studying in the days leading up to the unit exam. Each quiz is 2 pages and includes a teacher answer key. While these are perfect for daily quizzes, they can also be used as homework assignments, classwork, or study guides for your unit test.
Teacher Guide and Answer Key Included.
PLEASE NOTE: While these quizzes can be used with any unit or textbook, they were specifically written to accompany my "Origin of Life on Earth PowerPoint and Notes Bundle." Click this link to view this resource.
These quizzes are appropriate for biology or life science students in grades 9 - 12. I use these documents for a quick and easy check for understanding and to make sure that my students are keeping up with their nightly studying.
Topics covered by Quiz 1:
• Early Ideas About the Origin of Life: Biogenesis and spontaneous generation.
• The experiments of Redi, Spallanzani, and Louis Pasteur.
• Students are given a picture of Redi’s classic experiment and asked to explain his control and experimental groups.
• Questions (with diagrams) also cover the experiments carried out by Spallanzani, and the classic experiment of Louis Pasteur that disproved spontaneous generation for all time.
• This quiz consists entirely of short answer questions. There are 16 questions.
Topics covered by Quiz 2:
• Earth’s History: The age of the Earth, radioactive dating, isotopes, radioactive isotopes, carbon-14 dating, the limits of carbon-14 dating, the dating of older rocks and fossils.
• Relative dating, relative age, absolute age.
• The chemical and physical processes that might have occurred that led to the first life forms.
• The First Organic Compounds on Earth: The Oparin hypothesis, the experimental evidence of Miller and Urey, examination of new evidence about the atmosphere of early Earth.
• From Molecules to Cell-Like Structures: Microspheres, coacervates, the experiments of Sydney Fox, the life like properties of microspheres and coacervates.
• The First Life Forms: Key processes of metabolism and replication, protobionts.
• The Origin of Heredity: RNA as the first genetic material, ribozyme, the ability to self-replicate, the role of natural selection.
• This quiz contains 28 fill in the blank questions and 6 short answer questions.
Topics covered by Quiz 3:
• The Fossil Record: The fossil record shows change over time, why the fossil record is incomplete, types of organisms that do and do not form fossils.
• The First Single Celled Organisms: The anaerobic conditions on early Earth, first heterotrophic prokaryotes, rise of autotrophs, chemosynthesis, archaebacteria.
• Photosynthesis and Aerobic Respiration: The production of organic compounds in photosynthesis, the release of oxygen into the atmosphere, the damaging nature of oxygen, the evolution of aerobic respiration, cyanobacteria, production of ozone.
• The First Eukaryotes: Differences between prokaryotes and eukaryotes, the theory of endosymbiosis, evolution of mitochondria and chloroplasts, evidence for endosymbiosis.
• Sexual Reproduction and Evolution: Differences between sexual and asexual reproduction, the disadvantage of asexual reproduction, the advantage of sexual reproduction, the link between sexual reproduction and natural selection/evolution.
• The First Multicellular Eukaryotes: Arrival of protists, algae, fungi, plants and animals, the Cambrian explosion, first animal phyla, early animals are herbivores, appearance of predators.
• The Colonization of Land: Solving the problem of reproduction without water and the problem of dehydration in an oxygen atmosphere, solutions to these problems, vascular tissue of plants, cuticle of plants, reproduction with pollen, the exoskeleton of arthropods, and the amniote egg.
• Large Scale Process Have Affected Life on Earth: Continental Drift, Mass extinctions, Adaptive radiations.
• This quiz contains 27 fill in the blank questions and 5 short answer questions.
The download will include both a Word document as well as a pdf form of each quiz, as well as a detailed Teacher Guide and Answer Key..
Related Products Include:
History of Life on Earth PowerPoint with Notes for Teacher and Student
Evolution and Classification: Warm Ups, Bell Ringers and Interactive Notebooks
Task Cards: Earth's History and the Origin of Life
History of Life on Earth Question and Answer Review PowerPoint
The Geologic Time Scale Activity
Lab: Making Coacervates
Origin of Life of Earth Homework Assignments
Crossword Puzzle: Earth's History and the Origin of Life
Earth's History and the Origin of Life Unit Test
For updates about sales and new products, please follow my store:
My TpT Store
I would love to have you follow me at these locations as well:
My Blog: Amy Brown Science.com
My Facebook Page