This high quality timeline, suitable to support the Australian curriculum, features 37 key events that have shaped Queensland as we know it today. Use as a wall display in your classroom or for further activities on an Interactive Whiteboard. Let your imagination run wild with this multi-purpose resource.
Each poster is A4 size and includes unique fonts and graphics.
Key events include (please note these events are abbreviated in this list and are in more detail and fully punctuated on each poster):
- arrival of Aboriginal people
- Arrival of Willem Janszoon on the Duyfken
- Arrival of Captain Cook on Possession Island
- John Oxley begins journey to find new penal sites
- John Oxley travels up Brisbane River and camps at Breakfast Creek
- Moreton Bay Convict Settlement established on Brisbane River
- Alan Cunningham discovers the Darling Downs and a gap through the Dividing Range
- The predecessor to the Courier Mail is first published
- Municipality of Brisbane is established
- Queensland becomes a separate colony
- Robert George Wyndham Herbert becomes Queensland's first Premier
- The first telegraph line in Queensland is established
- The first Queensland vs. New South Wales cricket match is played
- Queensland's first rail line opens
- James Nash discovers gold on the Mary River near Gympie
- Free primary education is introduced in Queensland
- The first Ekka is held in Brisbane
- The first electric light is switched on
- Severe flooding (1893)
- A great drought begins
- The colony of Queensland becomes a state
- Queensland women are granted the right to vote
- Qantas – Australia’s first airline is established
- Cane toads are deliberately introduced to Queensland
- The Story Bridge first opens
- Japanese flying boats bomb Townsville
- The Bruce Highway linking Brisbane and Cairns is completed
- Sir Joh Bjelke-Petersen starts his premiership
- The Brisbane flood (1974)
- Queensland beats New South Wales 20–10 in the first State of Origin game
- Queen Elizabeth II officially opens World Expo '88
- Queensland wins the Sheffield Shield for the first time
- Queensland’s population reaches 4 million
- Nambour-born Kevin Rudd becomes the first Queenslander to become Australian Prime Minister
- Anna Bligh is sworn in as Queensland's first female Premier
- Significant flooding occurs in many areas of Queensland during late December 2010 and early January 2011
- Severe tropical Cyclone Yasi crosses the Queensland coast
Is a Key Event you were looking for not in this set? No worries!! Simply send me a Product Question using the button below and I will be most happy to create a poster to suit your needs.
Please note: This product is for personal use only unless additional licences are purchased.
If you liked the look of these posters, you may also like these:
— Australia's Prime Ministers Posters
— Federation Timeline Posters
— Australian History Timeline
Please note: These posters are best printed on A4 sized paper.
Please note: This product is for personal use only. Multiple licences are available for use among more than one person.
If you liked the look of this product, please take a look at my other products for sale in my store:
To keep up with new products, simple follow me on
Pinterest: Ridgy Didge Resources
Or better yet, follow my store to receive updates of new product listings right in your inbox!