The following is a 75 minute, common core-based lesson plan/worksheet on the “new” Germany that was created by Hitler before World War II began. The worksheet focuses on the economic and political changes in Germany created by Hitler.
The lesson includes:
• Do now – Hitler quote analysis
• Analysis of Nazi propaganda/Hitler quotes – critical thinking and thought provoking questions follow.
• Secondary source readings about the Third Reich & the Hitler Youth.
• Creation of an acrostic poem based on the worksheet readings
• analysis of a 15-minute clip from Triumph of the Will by Leni Riefenstahl (clip not included, but typically available on YouTube or for purchase on Amazon)
• wrap up role play activity where students pretend to be different members of Germany society and respond to the changes that took place.
• Enormous amount of discussion opportunities!
I also offer the previous lesson in the interwar sequence individually...
The Rise of Adolf Hitler - Global/World History Common Core
...or both Hitler lessons bundled together...
The Rise of Hitler & the "New" Germany Bundle - Global/World History Common Core
... or this worksheet bundled with several others from the interwar period.
Bundle #10 - Interwar Period - Rise of Fascism - Global/World History
...or this worksheet bundled with several others from the World War II era...
Bundle #5 - World War II - Global/World/US History Common Core
...or bundled with an expanded bundle of World War II worksheets...
Bundle #6 - Expanded World War II - Global/World History Common Core
This lesson can easily be modified for a shorter or longer class period. Feel free to ask any questions you might have. Please remember to rate this worksheet. Thank you very much!