NOTE: This puzzle is meant to be used before students read the book.
This crossword contains 50 challenging words from HOLES. Either as a homework assignment or by allowing students to work in pairs with a thesaurus in class, it's a great way to prepare students for reading the book and understanding the story. Examples of clues:
* Scarcity: not ___ ANSWER: enough
* Protruding: ___ out ANSWER: sticking
* Prospect: something ___ ANSWER: expected
* Remedy ANSWER: cure
* Toxic ANSWER: poisonous
FYI: I have narrowed the list of 50 words to 25 and included them on my HOLES edition of Bookmarks Plus, which students can refer to for definitions as they read the story. See list below.
Also, to reinforce meaning even more, I have created a synonym/antonym crossword over the 25 words. See list below.
USE ALL THREE PRODUCTS TO REINFORCE MEANING!
Below are my unique products over HOLES. Check out all 18 my store!
• Bookmarks Plus: HOLES edition—A Handy Little Reading Aid—FREE! Helps students keep track of characters and provides definitions for new words—and so much more! Students and teachers alike are delighted with these bookmarks!
• HOLES Trivia Game—Fun for the Whole Class! My ThemeQuotes games are the only games that link famous, value-promoting quotations to the themes of the books you teach! Students work in teams to play this cross between Wheel of Fortune™ and Trivia Pursuit™ game! 192 questions!
• HOLES : Synonym/Antonym Vocabulary Crossword—Use with Bookmarks Plus! Use with Bookmarks Plus and the 50-word Prereading Vocabulary Crossword to reinforce meanings of new words! A unique crossword!
• HOLES : 3 Categorized Word Searches Based on the Book! Categories: Creatures; Latvia Today; On Big Thumb
• HOLES : 6 Cryptocategory Word Puzzles—Unique! Students decode lists of categorized words from the book! Categories: Names; More Names and Characters; Camp Greenlake; Big Thumb; Finding the Treasure; The End of the Story
• HOLES : 9 Quotefall Word Puzzles—Unique! Each quotefall is a quotation from the story. Students form individual words of the quotation by transferring letters from above the double line of the puzzle grid to squares in the columns directly below. Quotefalls can be challenging, but students love working them—and they’re great spelling workouts!
• HOLES : Theme Crossword Based on Quotations from the Book! Students must complete quotations that reflect the story’s themes. Some quotations are started in one clue and finished in another! Really unique and fun!
• HOLES : 10 Word Merges—One “Word” Becomes Two! Two-word phrases from the story are blended into one “word.” Students decipher the phrases. Harder than it sounds, but a good spelling workout!
• HOLES: 12 Cryptograms—Encoded Similes! Students decode examples of simile from the story! Each cryptogram puzzle has its own code. Who doesn’t love a code?
• HOLES : Vocabulary Crossword—Fun Way to Learn New Words! Students provide synonyms for challenging words from the story. Good extra credit activity!
• HOLES : 6 Fractured Maxim Puzzles Based on the Novel! Students rearrange “tiles” to form wise sayings that relate to the themes of the book. Requires students to use their knowledge of the story as well as their knowledge of theme, spelling, phonics, vocabulary, and language!
• HOLES : 5 Fill-In Word Puzzles—Good Trial-and-Error Exercise! Students enter common words from the story into the puzzle grid, based on the number of letters in the word. The puzzle can be challenging, but each time students enter a correct answer, they are provided with clues for the next.
• HOLES : Anagram Crossword—Challenges Spelling Skills! Students decipher common terms from the novel! The puzzle can be challenging, but, as with all crosswords, almost every time they enter a correct answer, they are provided with clues for the next.
• HOLES : Crossword Based on the Setting of the Book--Texas! Students are “quizzed” on Texas trivia, from famous Texan-born actors to the state reptile to the famous WWII hero! Makes a great research project!
• HOLES : Reading-for-Detail Crossword—Challenging! A great way to check students’ reading skills!
Word-Wise Language Arts Resources
—100s of unique products over most-taught literature!
Fun Teaching~Fun Learning!