NOTE: This product is meant to be used after students have read the book.
A maxim is a wise saying. The maxims in these puzzles have been placed in letter tiles (three letters or spaces per tile) and then shuffled around. Students rearrange the tiles to form maxims that relate to the themes of HOLES. The author or source of the maxim is shown in the title, and the number of words in each maxim is provided in parentheses. Directions include hints for the first puzzle.
Fractured maxims require students to use their knowledge of HOLES and their knowledge of spelling and language. And they are perfect for introducing students to the concept of theme!
NOTE: Be sure to view the preview, as the thumbnails show only partial images of the puzzles. Also, teachers may want to provide hints.
Examples of featured maxims:
* Friedrich Nietzche: That which does not kill me makes me stronger.
* James A. Garfield: A pound of pluck is worth a ton of luck.
***Perfect filler activities for after tests, between lessons, or at the end of the day!***
***Check out the many editions of FRACTURED MAXIMS word puzzles in my store! Don’t see a title you teach? Contact me through TPT, and I’ll create a product just for you!***
Don't miss my FREE 4-star-rated HOLES edition of BOOKMARKS PLUS (see below)!
Below are my unique products over HOLES. View all 18 my store!
• Bookmarks Plus: HOLES edition—A Handy Little Reading Aid—FREE! Helps students keep track of characters and provides definitions for new words—and so much more! Students and teachers alike are delighted with these bookmarks!
• HOLES Trivia Game—Fun for the Whole Class! My ThemeQuotes games are the only games that link famous, value-promoting quotations to the themes of the books you teach! Students work in teams to play this cross between Wheel of Fortune™ and Trivia Pursuit™ game! 192 questions!
• HOLES : Synonym/Antonym Vocabulary Crossword—Use with Bookmarks Plus! Use with Bookmarks Plus and the 50-word Prereading Vocabulary Crossword to reinforce meanings of new words! A unique crossword!
• HOLES : 3 Categorized Word Searches Based on the Book! Categories: Creatures; Latvia Today; On Big Thumb
• HOLES : 6 Cryptocategory Word Puzzles—Unique! Students decode lists of categorized words from the book! Categories: Names; More Names and Characters; Camp Greenlake; Big Thumb; Finding the Treasure; The End of the Story
• HOLES : 9 Quotefall Word Puzzles—Unique! Each quotefall is a quotation from the story. Students form individual words of the quotation by transferring letters from above the double line of the puzzle grid to squares in the columns directly below. Quotefalls can be challenging, but students love working them—and they’re great spelling workouts!
• HOLES : Theme Crossword Based on Quotations from the Book! Students must complete quotations that reflect the story’s themes. Some quotations are started in one clue and finished in another! Really unique and fun!
• HOLES : 10 Word Merges—One “Word” Becomes Two! Two-word phrases from the story are blended into one “word.” Students decipher the phrases. Harder than it sounds, but a good spelling workout!
• HOLES: 12 Cryptograms—Encoded Similes! Students decode examples of simile from the story! Each cryptogram puzzle has its own code. Who doesn’t love a code?
• HOLES : Vocabulary Crossword—Fun Way to Learn New Words! Students provide synonyms for challenging words from the story. Good extra credit activity!
• HOLES : 6 Fractured Maxim Puzzles Based on the Novel! Students rearrange “tiles” to form wise sayings that relate to the themes of the book. Requires students to use their knowledge of the story as well as their knowledge of theme, spelling, phonics, vocabulary, and language!
• HOLES : 5 Fill-In Word Puzzles—Good Trial-and-Error Exercise! Students enter common words from the story into the puzzle grid, based on the number of letters in the word. The puzzle can be challenging, but each time students enter a correct answer, they are provided with clues for the next.
• HOLES : Anagram Crossword—Challenges Spelling Skills! Students decipher common terms from the novel! The puzzle can be challenging, but, as with all crosswords, almost every time they enter a correct answer, they are provided with clues for the next.
• HOLES : Crossword Based on the Setting of the Book--Texas! Students are “quizzed” on Texas trivia, from famous Texan-born actors to the state reptile to the famous WWII hero! Makes a great research project!
• HOLES : Reading-for-Detail Crossword—Challenging! A great way to check students’ reading skills!
• HOLES : 50-word Prereading Vocabulary Crossword—Use with Bookmarks Plus! Helps prepare students for reading the book! Use with the Holes edition of Bookmarks Plus and the Holes Synonym/Antonym Vocabulary Crossword to reinforce meanings of new words!
• HOLES : 2 Character Word Searches with Hidden Messages After working the puzzle, students discover the secret word that is related to the story!
• HOLES : 12 Theme-Related Quotations + Teaching Ideas Well-researched, thought-provoking quotations by some of history’s greatest thinkers—each quotation relates to a theme in the book!
Word-Wise Language Arts Resources
—100s of unique products over most-taught literature!
Fun Teaching~Fun Learning!