PDF (Acrobat) Document File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing.
Everything students always wanted to know (or not) about the great Longhorn state! Students won't know all the answers but, as with all crosswords, many clues will be revealed as students work. Makes a great research project!
3. Famous Texas actor: Tommy
___ Jones (LEE)
4. Famous Texas actress: ___
9. State pepper (JALAPENO)
10. Famous Texas TV
newscaster: Dan ___ (RATHER)
15. State tree (PECAN)
16. Famous Texas golfer: ___
17. Famous Texas musician:
Buddy ___ (RICH)
18. Large Texas city (PLANO)
19. State bird: ___bird (MOCKING)
24. State musical instrument (GUITAR)
14. Texas, our Texas! All ___ the
mighty state! (state song
Don't miss my FREE 4-star-rated HOLES edition of Bookmarks Plus. See list below.
Below are my unique products over HOLES. View all 18 my store!
• Bookmarks Plus: HOLES edition—A Handy Little Reading Aid—FREE! Helps students keep track of characters and provides definitions for new words—and so much more! Students and teachers alike are delighted with these bookmarks! See testimonials below!
• HOLES Trivia Game—Fun for the Whole Class! My ThemeQuotes games are the only games that link famous, value-promoting quotations to the themes of the books you teach! Students work in teams to play this cross between Wheel of Fortune™ and Trivia Pursuit™ game! 192 questions!
• HOLES : Synonym/Antonym Vocabulary Crossword—Use with Bookmarks Plus! Use with Bookmarks Plus and the 50-word Prereading Vocabulary Crossword to reinforce meanings of new words! A unique crossword!
• HOLES : 3 Categorized Word Searches Based on the Book! Categories: Creatures; Latvia Today; On Big Thumb
• HOLES : 6 Cryptocategory Word Puzzles—Unique! Students decode lists of categorized words from the book! Categories: Names; More Names and Characters; Camp Greenlake; Big Thumb; Finding the Treasure; The End of the Story
• HOLES : 9 Quotefall Word Puzzles—Unique! Each quotefall is a quotation from the story. Students form individual words of the quotation by transferring letters from above the double line of the puzzle grid to squares in the columns directly below. Quotefalls can be challenging, but students love working them—and they’re great spelling workouts!
• HOLES : Theme Crossword Based on Quotations from the Book! Students must complete quotations that reflect the story’s themes. Some quotations are started in one clue and finished in another! Really unique and fun!
• HOLES : 10 Word Merges—One “Word” Becomes Two! Two-word phrases from the story are blended into one “word.” Students decipher the phrases. Harder than it sounds, but a good spelling workout!
• HOLES: 12 Cryptograms—Encoded Similes! Students decode examples of simile from the story! Each cryptogram puzzle has its own code. Who doesn’t love a code?
• HOLES : Vocabulary Crossword—Fun Way to Learn New Words! Students provide synonyms for challenging words from the story. Good extra credit activity!
• HOLES : 6 Fractured Maxim Puzzles Based on the Novel! Students rearrange “tiles” to form wise sayings that relate to the themes of the book. Requires students to use their knowledge of the story as well as their knowledge of theme, spelling, phonics, vocabulary, and language!
• HOLES : 5 Fill-In Word Puzzles—Good Trial-and-Error Exercise! Students enter common words from the story into the puzzle grid, based on the number of letters in the word. The puzzle can be challenging, but each time students enter a correct answer, they are provided with clues for the next.
• HOLES : Anagram Crossword—Challenges Spelling Skills! Students decipher common terms from the novel! The puzzle can be challenging, but, as with all crosswords, almost every time they enter a correct answer, they are provided with clues for the next.
• HOLES : Crossword Based on the Setting of the Book--Texas! Students are “quizzed” on Texas trivia, from famous Texan-born actors to the state reptile to the famous WWII hero! Makes a great research project!
• HOLES : Reading-for-Detail Crossword—Challenging! A great way to check students’ reading skills!
• HOLES : 50-word Prereading Vocabulary Crossword—Use with Bookmarks Plus! Helps prepare students for reading the book! Use with the Holes edition of Bookmarks Plus and the Holes Synonym/Antonym Vocabulary Crossword to reinforce meanings of new words!
• HOLES : 2 Character Word Searches with Hidden Messages After working the puzzle, students discover the secret word that is related to the story!
• HOLES : 12 Theme-Related Quotations + Teaching Ideas Well-researched, thought-provoking quotations by some of history’s greatest thinkers—each quotation relates to a theme in the book!
*****TESTIMONIALS FOR BOOKMARKS PLUS FROM TEACHERS OF ALL LEVELS!*****
***My students LOVE these bookmarks. I have one for each of the 11 pieces of literature they read with me during the year. Not only does it keep their place, the bookmarks provide valuable information about each text, as well as helpful vocabulary that could be incorporated into assessments. I actually copy limited numbers of each in color and use as class incentives. My 10th graders LOVE to win contests to upgrade their bookmarks to color (way better than candy as a prize too). I cannot say enough positive things about these bookmarks!—Matthew R.***
***To say that my students loved these would be an understatement. They referred to them all the time, got really upset if their bookmark got misplaced, and said they were "the best thing you've ever given us..." (they are prone to slight exaggeration...but they were appreciative!)...Highly recommend!*** H.S. Language Arts Teacher
***I purchased these bookmarks for 4 novels after downloading the Holes freebie bookmark. They are wonderful! The students refer to them frequently while reading. Struggling readers feel empowered and participate in text discussion much more often. Definitely worth the price!—Portigo P.***
***I have bought several of these resources, and I love seeing my students refer back to them when they have a question about a character. They are a hit!—Tara S.***
***I always love your bookmarks! My students do too!! They serve as AWESOME little reminders for the kids as they read.—Mellow V.***
***I can't wait to use these! I started buying your bookmarks when I came to 3rd grade last year. I notice a lot of titles I would also use if I make it back to 5th grade. You have a great variety of titles. My students love using these bookmarks!—Rhonda A.***
***I gave them to the students a couple of days before we started so they could get acquainted with the story. Thank you!*** Nancy M.
Download the free HOLES edition and see for yourself!
Word-Wise Language Arts Resources
—100s of unique products over most-taught literature!
Fun Teaching~Fun Learning!