Looking for a fun way to top off your literature unit? ThemeQuotes Trivia Games are just what you need!
What is a ThemeQuote?
A ThemeQuote is a thought-provoking quotation that relates to a theme of a work of literature. ThemeQuotes are authored by great minds such as Gandhi, Anne Frank, Mark Twain, Pearl Buck, Thoreau, Emerson, Amy Tan, Nietzsche, Thomas Jefferson, Eleanor Roosevelt, Kipling, Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., and more!
ThemeQuotes Trivia Games link famous quotations to the themes of the literature you teach!
Designed specifically for classroom use, ThemeQuotes Trivia Games combine the word-recognition skills of Wheel of Fortune™ with the challenge of Trivial Pursuit™.
Students might be asked to:
* answer questions about the author
* answer multiple choice, true/false, and open-ended questions based on the book
* answer questions that are related to the content of the book
* locate grammatical errors in dialogue
* translate idioms or dialectical phrases
* define, spell, or pronounce challenging words
* complete examples of figurative language
* unscramble anagrams or word merges
* and so much more!
Students have fun while being exposed to great thinkers!
ThemeQuotes Trivia Games:
* promote values
* encourage teamwork
* develop students’ understanding of theme
* challenge students’ reading-for-detail skills
* provide a great review for objective tests
* are just plain fun!
FYI: Some of the questions go beyond the book, but that's the fun of the game. Such questions, which are usually presented in multiple-choice format, require students to rely on their past experiences and their critical thinking skills to select the correct answer of the three choice provided. It's a fun way to learn something new! Check out the preview for examples!
The HOLES edition includes:
* rules of play
* 192 trivia questions
* 12 transparency-ready ThemeQuote puzzles
* ThemeQuote puzzles key
Elementary school editions of ThemeQuotes Trivia Games:
* Bridge to Terabithia
* The Cay
* Island of the Blue Dolphins
* Julie of the Wolves
* Maniac Magee
* Number the Stars
* Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry
* The Sign of the Beaver
* Summer of the Monkeys
* Where the Red Fern Grows
Don't miss my free HOLES edition of Bookmarks Plus. See list below.
Below are my unique products over HOLES. View them all my store!
• Bookmarks Plus: HOLES edition—A Handy Little Reading Aid—FREE! Helps students keep track of characters and provides definitions for new words—and so much more! Students and teachers alike are delighted with these bookmarks!
• HOLES Trivia Game—Fun for the Whole Class! My ThemeQuotes games are the only games that link famous, value-promoting quotations to the themes of the books you teach! Students work in teams to play this cross between Wheel of Fortune™ and Trivia Pursuit™ game! 192 questions!
• HOLES : Synonym/Antonym Vocabulary Crossword—Use with Bookmarks Plus! Use with Bookmarks Plus and the 50-word Prereading Vocabulary Crossword to reinforce meanings of new words! A unique crossword!
• HOLES : 3 Categorized Word Searches Based on the Book! Categories: Creatures; Latvia Today; On Big Thumb
• HOLES : 6 Cryptocategory Word Puzzles—Unique! Students decode lists of categorized words from the book! Categories: Names; More Names and Characters; Camp Greenlake; Big Thumb; Finding the Treasure; The End of the Story
• HOLES : 9 Quotefall Word Puzzles—Unique! Each quotefall is a quotation from the story. Students form individual words of the quotation by transferring letters from above the double line of the puzzle grid to squares in the columns directly below. Quotefalls can be challenging, but students love working them—and they’re great spelling workouts!
• HOLES : Theme Crossword Based on Quotations from the Book! Students must complete quotations that reflect the story’s themes. Some quotations are started in one clue and finished in another! Really unique and fun!
• HOLES : 10 Word Merges—One “Word” Becomes Two! Two-word phrases from the story are blended into one “word.” Students decipher the phrases. Harder than it sounds, but a good spelling workout!
• HOLES: 12 Cryptograms—Encoded Similes! Students decode examples of simile from the story! Each cryptogram puzzle has its own code. Who doesn’t love a code?
• HOLES : 6 Fractured Maxim Puzzles Based on the Novel! Students rearrange “tiles” to form wise sayings that relate to the themes of the book. Requires students to use their knowledge of the story as well as their knowledge of theme, spelling, phonics, vocabulary, and language!
• HOLES : 5 Fill-In Word Puzzles—Good Trial-and-Error Exercise! Students enter common words from the story into the puzzle grid, based on the number of letters in the word. The puzzle can be challenging, but each time students enter a correct answer, they are provided with clues for the next.
• HOLES : Anagram Crossword—Challenges Spelling Skills! Students decipher common terms from the novel! The puzzle can be challenging, but, as with all crosswords, almost every time they enter a correct answer, they are provided with clues for the next.
• HOLES : Crossword Based on the Setting of the Book--Texas! Students are “quizzed” on Texas trivia, from famous Texan-born actors to the state reptile to the famous WWII hero! Makes a great research project!
• HOLES : Reading-for-Detail Crossword—Challenging! A great way to check students’ reading skills!
• HOLES : 50-word Prereading Vocabulary Crossword—Use with Bookmarks Plus! Helps prepare students for reading the book! Use with the Holes edition of Bookmarks Plus and the Holes Synonym/Antonym Vocabulary Crossword to reinforce meanings of new words!
• HOLES : 2 Character Word Searches with Hidden Messages After working the puzzle, students discover the secret word that is related to the story!
• HOLES : 12 Theme-Related Quotations + Teaching Ideas Well-researched, thought-provoking quotations by some of history’s greatest thinkers—each quotation relates to a theme in the book!
Word-Wise Language Arts Resources
—100s of unique products based on the literature you teach!
Fun Teaching~Fun Learning!