ELA Teaching Resources: Holes is a 160 slide ready to teach PowerPoint teaching resource with 16 accompanying worksheets and a lesson by lesson unit plan overview.
Holes is a fantastically detailed teaching resource which covers a broad range of classroom activities for students of different ages and abilities. All PowerPoint slides are student friendly, fully editable and easy to use.
Our Holes teaching resource explores the following:
* The social context - youth detention and boot camps
* The historical context of the South (segregation, civil rights, reconstruction, Jim Crow laws)
* analysis of the characters of Stanley Yelnats, Mr Sir, Mr Pendanski, The Warden, Kate Barlow, Sam and Zero
* key themes - crime and punishment, friendship, redemption
* narrative hooks, building tension, setting the scene
* the use of Point/Evidence/Explain to write about the book
* the author's purpose and the novel's message
* activities to consolidate understanding of the plot
* analysis of language
* role play activities
* diary and letter writing – to assess knowledge of plot, character and themes
* Links to a range of Holes and Louis Sachar games, quizzes and more lesson ideas
'Holes' can be edited allowing teachers to adapt the resource, if they wish, to suit the needs of each class they teach.