Compressed Zip File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing. How to unzip files.
4.65 MB | 149 pages
Holes is a 149 slide PowerPoint teaching resource with 17 accompanying worksheets and a lesson by lesson unit plan overview.
Holes is a fantastically detailed teaching resource which covers a broad range of classroom activities for students of different ages and abilities. The resource follows the four-part lesson structure - starter activity, introduction, development and plenary - and all PowerPoint slides are student friendly and easy to use. You can view the PowerPoint by clicking on the images below.
Our Holes teaching resource explores the following in detail:
* The social context (youth detention, boot camps)
* The historical context of the American South (racial segregation, civil rights, reconstruction, Jim Crow laws)
* activities to develop knowledge of the plot
* in depth analysis of the characters of Stanley Yelnats, Mr Sir, Mr Pendanski, The Warden, Kate Barlow, Sam and Zero
* exploration of key themes - crime and punishment, friendship, redemption
* developing awareness of the features of a novel – narrative hooks, building tension, setting the scene
* teaching the use of Point/Evidence/Explain to write about Holes
* Louis Sachar's 'message'- the author's purpose
* cloze and sequencing activities to consolidate understanding of the plot
* analysis of Louis Sachar's language in key scenes
* hot seating activities
* empathy questions - diary and letter writing – to assess knowledge of plot, character and themes
* Links to a range of Holes and Louis Sachar games, quizzes and more lesson ideas
To preview our Holes (Louis Sachar) teaching resources please click on the images from the PowerPoint.