Escape the madness of those last few days of school before holiday break with this INTERACTIVE Digital Holiday Escape Room! The 4 escape room activities cover parts of plot, context clues, figurative language, and reading comprehension. Your students are sure to be completely engaged and on task throughout the entire process!
NO SUPPLIES NEEDED other than internet access and technical devices! Simply read the directions, decide how you would like students to complete the activities, and then share the link to the Google Form with your kiddos! Also, the directions are included in the preview for you to check out ahead of time.
Escape Room 1:
Students will read ‘Twas the Night Before Christmas where they will see several words in bold print throughout the story. They will use context clues to identify the meaning of the words in bold and will match them to the correct definition. Then they will use the decoding tool to determine the code word and move on to the next room.
Escape Room 2:
After watching a video clip from the movie, “A Christmas Story,” (YouTube is necessary to view video) students will answer reading comprehension questions in order to proceed to the next challenge. Once questions have been answered, they will be directed to a jigsaw puzzle that will give them the next code once it’s put together correctly.
Escape Room 3:
Students will use popular holiday song lyrics and phrases from holiday movies to match the correct type of figurative language. Then they will use the decoder to determine the next code word.
Escape Room 4:
Students will read a modified play from the Scope Magazine version of “A Christmas Carol.” While reading, they will be directed to fill out a plot diagram. Once finished, students must receive teacher approval before moving on to next section in the Google Form. Once approval is given, they will proceed to the final section, where a breaking news image will appear with the final code. Once the code is entered, students have officially broken out of the escape room!!!
What is included:
• Detailed directions that explain, step-by-step, exactly how to what to do and how the process works.
• Link to Escape Room Activity
• Link to directions on how to use with Google Classroom, Edmodo, Microsoft OneDrive, etc.
• Answer key to each escape room activity
Benefits of Google Drive
*****NO PREP!!!***** Share the link with your students, and that's it!
• Completely paperless- no printing, cutting, or gluing!!
• Great for differentiation!
• Saves automatically!!!
• Students work directly on student pages.
• More engaging for students often unwilling to write or participate on traditional assignments.
• Meets technology standards and prepares students for college or career.
• Great for the 1:1 school or those incorporating technology use in lessons.
• Perfect for organization of all student materials in their own Google Drive!
• Google Drive is free for teachers and students!
• Allows students to work on assignments anywhere they have access to their Google Drive.
• Students can easily collaborate on assignments.
⚠️⚠️MAKE SURE YOUR DISTRICT DOES NOT BLOCK YOU FROM USING GOOGLE SLIDES THAT ARE MADE BY SOMEONE IN A DIFFERENT NETWORK!
THERE IS A LINK TO THIS SITE IN THE ESCAPE ROOM. I am not responsible if your district blocks these websites, and I suggest you test these sites first!⚠️⚠️
*Students will need access to Google Drive to complete the activities.*
To check out more of my escape room resources:
Back to School Digital Escape Room
Digital Escape Room- ELA Test Prep
For more holiday activities:
Find samples of my resources in these free e-Books!
Thanks + Giving eBook: Set 1, Grades 6-8 ELA (Free)
Blog (Lit with Lyns)
How to get TPT credit to use on future purchases:
• Please go to your My Purchases
page (you may need to login). Beside each purchase you'll see a Provide Feedback
button. Simply click it and you will be taken to a page where you can give a quick rating and leave a short comment for the product. Each time you give feedback, TPT gives you feedback credits that you use to lower the cost of your future purchases. I value your feedback greatly as it helps me determine which products are most valuable for your classroom so I can create more for you. ☺
Be the first to know about my new discounts, freebies and product launches:
• Look for the green star
next to my store logo and click it to become a follower
. Voila! You will now receive email updates about this store. ☺