With this project, students use string/yarn and tacks to design their house with a variety of holiday lights in order to win the competition of best holiday lights!
• Calculate the total length of string you use for your entire house
• Be creative
• Show all your work on this page or attach another lined piece of paper with clearly labelled information
• You only have $300 to spend on your light display
• There are only 4 brands you can use for the competition
• You cannot cut light strings – or else the lights will not work!
Students need to:
1. Map out where you want the holiday lights to be placed on your house template
2. Measure the house where they will be adding lights and label in cm on your template
3. Add up the total amount of lights(string) in cm need and which length of lights they will use for each area
4. Cut out the house and pin on board
5. Add up the total amount of lights (string) per colour you used in cm
6. Record calculations in the table
7. Use push pins and two art boards to attach the lights to your house
8. Complete reflection questions
9. Self-assess self on the rubric
10. Take a picture using the class ipad and post it on your Class Dojo wall
11. Competition time! Let’s see our Holiday Lights Show! Students vote on the best display of the community!
Included is the instructions and student calculation template. The reflection sheet, smartboard slides, extension questions, and rubric will be in another document. I just don't know how to bundle them yet?
Materials you will need:
Many push pins
Cork board or cardboard for each student
yarn in different colours and cut to the lengths given
Instruction sheet and calculation template