This is a real-life application project for students during the holiday season. Students will search holiday ads to purchase presents for five friends and family members. While shopping, they will have to stay within a budget, apply the best discount for their purchase, and calculate the sales tax. My students LOVE this activity as it allows them to connect their math skills to a real-life situation.
Please note that there are no holiday ads included in the purchase of this product. Prior to completing this activity, you will need to print out shopping ads or have students bring in some from home. I generally do an Internet search for “Black Friday Ads” and find plenty of options. I usually have my students share the ads with a partner or with a group so that I do not have to print off as many. I feel that using ads from actual stores increases the levels of engagement. The kids get really excited about shopping!
You might also be interested in:
• Percent Error Class Challenge
• Percent Project Design Your Own Taco Truck
• Percent of Change Lesson - Guided Notes, Error Analysis, and Assignment
• Probability Project - Design Your Own Amusement Park
• Parallel Lines Cut by a Transversal - Create a Town Project
• Operations with Rational Numbers - Road Trip Application
Be the first to know about the newest products and promotions. Follow Math is FUNtastic
by clicking the green star above!
©️Math is FUNtastic 2018
This purchase is for one teacher only. Additional licenses are available at a discounted price.