This is a great winter themed ELA unit on the history of gingerbread! Who would have thought there was history to the tradition of gingerbread houses and gingerbread people? This mini lesson is CCSS aligned and includes:
- a one page nonfiction text with a high 5th grade reading level (5.8)
- five comprehension worksheets
- a gingerbread family recipe w/ comprehension activity
- a research based summative response w/ rubric
- a t-chart for research notes
- final draft writing paper
- a graphic organizer to compare the researched tradition w/ gingerbread
- a writing activity to explain the graphic organizer
These activities will get your students looking back in the text, highlighting text evidence, and coming up with research questions of their own.
My fourth grade class loved it and I hope your class does too!