Students love to be in control so give it to them with this writing choice board! You choose that students will write. Students choose the topic! Easy yet effective for your writers. This is designed as a fun way to get students writing for the December holidays for all students.
Students choose and write about a topic listed under each of the letters in the word, HOLIDAY. The student choice board has been specially designed to give students choices to write about the topic they prefer. Christmas, Hanukah, and Kwanzaa topics are included plus “generic” type winter or holiday choices are given so all students are happy and successful writers. This project gives students seven days of holiday themed writing opportunities.
You can use this in the “Letter of the Day” format (H-O-L-I-D-A-Y) where you assign the letter which focuses the writing on the five choices listed under that letter or you can use this as a lit center activity.
MS Word editable versions of the choice board and student instructions are provided so you can customize this project. You can add your own clip art and borders to these if desired.
You can add your own topics to the blank papers.
• You can use the MS Word version to modify topics or use your own to create topics for each child to write about.
• Allow students the opportunity to write about as many topics as they want. You can have students use other colors for their second and third topic in each column. You can further challenge students to write about topics that create a pattern on the choice board.
• Students can suggest topics that are of interest to them.
• The teacher can change topics into “choice” topics as desired.
• There are four blank and unnumbered writing papers that give larger or smaller line spacing for students who need them.
Included Materials - 63 pages in all:
• Student directions & lined writing papers with topics and numbered to match the choice board (41 pages PDF)
• Editable student directions, choice board & lined writing papers (4 pages MS Word)
• Teacher tips (1 page PDF)
• Bulletin Board titles that spell out HOLIDAY and "Today's Letter Is..."
• Writing Choice Board (1 pages MS Word + 1 page PDF)
Have fun with this writing project!
More Christmas Items Designed with Maximum Fun + Learning
• 12 Days of Christmas Bundle of 5 Products (saves $)
• 12 Days of Christmas What’s the Cost of the Gifts?
• 12 Days of Christmas Grammar
• 12 Days of Christmas Math Word Problems
• 12 Days of Christmas Daily Math, Language & Geography
• 12 Days of Christmas Word Work FUN!
• Math Art CHRISTMAS Multiples Math Center Set
• Christmas Challenge Multiplication Task Cards
• Oh Christmas Tree Math Task Cards Gr.3-5
• Holiday Bonus Box & Grouch Box Behavior Fun Program
• Holiday Writing Paper Set Plus Writing Choice Board
• Writing Paper: Holiday, Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa - 100 Pages of Choices
• Writing Paper: 122 pages of Christmas Writing Paper
• Gingerbread Man Writing (Grades K-2)