Here are 2 writing centers that I use during the month of December with my first graders. The goal of these activities is to encourage children to pay attention to capitalization/punctuation in writing and to make sure they are using it in their own writing. At this point in the year, I have taught them about capitalization and punctuation. I am hoping to see them use it more consistently, so I made this as a way to practice. When you copy these, note that there are two complete center activities here. Each should have a front with a picture and typed sentences. The back should just have a picture and blank lines.
Here is what the students do:
1. Read the story.
2. Use a green crayon to highlight/trace all the capital letters.
3. Use a red crayon to highlight/trace all the punctuation.
4. Turn the paper over and write a story to match the picture.
5. Use a green crayon to highlight/trace their capital letters (add/fix if needed).
6. Use a red crayon to highlight/trace all their punctuation (add/fix if needed).